Overclocking an Athlon to make use of DDR333

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

Overclocking an Athlon to make use of DDR333

Postby jimmy_tacks » Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:04 am

There's been quite a lot of talk on the Recommendations forum about how there's no point in buying PC2700 memory for use with an Athlon processor - the argument is that while the memory runs at 333Mhz, the CPU only runs on a 266Mhz FSB so anything above PC2100 memory adds no performance.

As I'm looking to buy the Abit KTX-333 mobo with an Athlon 2000+ CPU, I naturally want to be able to make use of PC2700. Some advice on the possibility and techniques of overclocking Athlons for this purpose would be much appreciated (not just by me I'm sure!).

Thanks

T Jacks
jimmy_tacks
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby datektrader21 » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:13 pm

who said it does not add performance! it does, it gives you25% more memory bandwith. but if you can get your cpu to run stable at 166mhz FSB then you will get even more performance, its just really hard to do.
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Noober » Sat Jul 20, 2002 8:39 pm

Well you will have to unlock your cpu inorder to make it alot easier to get to that 166 fsb. I believe tomshardware did an article about that. I'll see if i can find it and post the link.
Noober
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Aibohphobia » Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:44 pm

who said it does not add performance! it does, it gives you25% more memory bandwith

okay well datek, it doesn't add much actual performance. there are benchmarks but i dont feel like getting them, they're at tomshardware.com i'm sure. the 25% ram boost doesn't mean 25% system performance boost, like the difference between CAS 2 and CAS 2.5 isn't really a 20% performance difference. AMD's bandwidth doesn't get much out of the frequency difference, and it's not really much to upgrade from 266 to 333.

back to the question, with motherboards with the KT333 chipset, you don't need to overclock anything to make use of ddr333 ram, there is a multiplier you can set to change the ratio of fsb-to-ram, keeping the FSB and CPU at 133mhz and getting the RAM at 166mhz,333 ddr.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:07 am

I wrote wrote:it gives you25% more memory bandwith

notice i did not say total system performance but rather memory bandwith :roll:
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site