How about a For Sale Section?

For discussions related to the main web site or the forum itself are now combined into one to clean things up a bit..

How about a For Sale Section?

Postby Comp_parter » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:23 am

Just a thought, how about a section set aside where peeps can list things for sale 8) :?: Ya know like spare pieces parts and the sort...
Comp_parter
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:20 pm

IMO this sounds like a great idea, but in all actuallity it is more work than it is worth. Unfortunately that is no way to regulate this type of forum from scams.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:31 pm

toby wrote:Unfortunately that is no way to regulate this type of forum from scams.

im shocked 8O have you no faith in the motherboard community?

ebay does it pretty well every day, but it is beyond the scope of this forum. so maybe ebay would be the better place to go. unless mobocop feels like storing all the names and address of everybody who wants to buy/sell and of course a copy of everyone credit card (for security reasons) then again i dunno how much i trust mobocop with my money :twisted:
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Comp_parter » Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:34 pm

Yea I think it would be nice. I guess there is always ebay, but I think that we could do some business between members if we had a page to list things :)
Comp_parter
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Sun Jul 14, 2002 11:37 pm

Now Datektrader do not go twisting my words around. What I meant with the comment about no way to regulate "this tpe of forum" was that scams can and do go on. It would be a major thorn in Mobocop's back-side trying to keep a for-sale forum regulated..

And as far as credit cards......Remember there are a lot of people here on the forums that either are not old enough yet, don't use them, etc.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby MoboCop » Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:11 pm

There would be two ways to handle this. One would be to either get or roll my own code to run such a thing. The other would be to create a forum with major warnings and disclaimers and let everyone post for sale or trade and handle the transactions themeselves.

In the first instance I would have methods of rating members and some safety nets for those involved. The second method I would do NO policing whatsoever.

I would consider the second option and not the first one (I dont have the time needed).
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby datektrader21 » Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:21 pm

mobocop never has any time for us :cry: :cry:
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Comp_parter » Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:56 pm

I would be fine with the major disclaimers and handling our own transactions, I think for the most part we are all adults here :lol:. I almost got that out without cracking up, almost that is :lol:
Comp_parter
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby MoboCop » Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:04 pm

I am looking into the options as we type. I will let you know one way or another when I make the final decision on this.

thanks.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby some_random_guy » Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:32 pm

To protect from scams there could be a 'middle man'.
Instead of using credit cards just use cash or check. Both parties would send the items or money to someone from the motherboards.org site. Then when he got both items he would continue the process by sending the packages the rest of the way. Sure it would take longer, and there would be more shipping and handling, but it seems safer to me.
Just a thougt. Theres probably some huge flaw in my idea that i havent seen yet but oh well
some_random_guy
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Motherboards.org Web Site