2 F@H clients on 1 machine

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

2 F@H clients on 1 machine

Postby joshvee » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:10 pm

Is anyone succesfully running 2 F@H clients at the same time on a P4c hyperthreading machine? I still cant get mine to work.

If so how did you do it? (please give detail) and what did it do to the temps?

Please reply only if you've actualy done it. I know the theory behind it but it just wont work.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:15 pm

have you tried with 2 seperate install localtions, different processor addinities for the graphical model or machine numbers for the console model?
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:47 pm

translation: addinities = identities
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:49 pm

yeah, that's what i meant. I really should watch my typing when doing technical advice and suggestions no? (stupid HP A2840B keyboard on loaner machine... types slow, and keys take quite a bit of effort to hit...)
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:51 pm

what's wrong with hooking up your own keyboard to that machine?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:53 pm

It's a very odd issue with this board that whenver i hook up my usb keybaord and mouse, it decided sto start bluescreening... too lazy to troubleshoot this.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Southwind25 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:13 pm

Have you tried to set up the type rate in the bios?
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:18 pm

don't really remember. the reason it seems slow (well actually the cursor does seem sluggish) is that these key soffer a LOT of resistance... so whereas before where i'd jsut tap them, now i've got to really push down...
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Aussie » Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:21 pm

Is anyone succesfully running 2 F@H clients at the same time on a P4c hyperthreading machine?

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2003-06-10.html

b) Two folds are better than one (Difficulty: Advanced)
For those lucky users with dual-processor machines or rigs with hyperthreaded P4s, you can run two instances of the Console version simultaneously. It's rather involved, but well worth it to see both of your CPUs (or both of your virtual CPUs) being utilized to their fullest. These instructions assume you are running Win2K Pro or XP Pro.

1) First, create two separate directories and dump FAH3Console.exe in each one.

2) Then, you're going to have to make a shortcut to each FAH3Console.exe. Paste the Shortcuts into the C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsStartup folder so that both FAH consoles will startup every time the system boots up.

3) Right click on each shortcut you've created. You'll see the "Target" line: "C:Program Filesetc.etc.FAH3Console.exe"

Now, you MUST add the -local flag, if you haven't already done so here. Remember to add the -local flag for each shortcut. It's also a good idea to add -advmethods and -forceasm.

4) Now, you're almost set. Double click on one of the shortcuts you created. The first time you do, you'll be asked to configure FAH. Aside from your username and Team No. (select team No. 11108 for Team MPC), one of the configuration options is to set the Machine ID for the first FAH3Console.exe program to "1" (when you get to the point where we run the second FAH3Console.exe, you'll need to set the second one's Machine ID to "2").

5) Now that one instance of FAH is up and running, go into your task manager and hit the "processes" tab. You'll see FAH3Console.exe there. Right click on it and choose "Set Affinity" and set it for CPU 0 only (uncheck CPU 1). You'll also see FAHCore_xx.exe running. Set that for CPU 0 too.

6) Now you're ready to run the second console (again, launch it by clicking on your second created shortcut). When you configure it, set it for a different machine ID ("2").

7) In take manager, you'll set the Affinity for your second instance of FAH3Console.exe for CPU 1. Now, this will be tricky as you'll see two FAH3Console.exe's running. You can check which one is the first one by checking the affinity. The new one will have both CPU 0 and 1 checked, while the first one was just set to CPU 0.

8 ) Do the same thing with the second FAHCore_xx.exe. Set it to CPU 1 only.

9) Now you're running two instances of FAH, and they are taking full advantage of your processors.

10) As long as you don't close out the Console programs, they'll remember their affinity. If you close them, or restart or reboot your computer, you'll need to go back and set the affinity again.

Not sure that I should be helping you do this but ah what the heck. :lol:

Aussie
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King
Aussie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby joshvee » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:10 pm

Aussie wrote:

Not sure that I should be helping you do this but ah what the heck. :lol:

Aussie

What a lad :)
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next