proposal to use sub 500mhz comps for D2OL- fight sars, anthr

This forum is for discussions about the Motherboards.org Folding team. What is folding? Venture on in for a look.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

proposal to use sub 500mhz comps for D2OL- fight sars, anthr

Postby len444 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:37 am

just an idea. i can do about 2.5 "candidates" (their term for WU's= drug candidates) w/ a p166, and about 4 a day w/ a p200. i think that the sub 500mhz comps are hardly worth running GAH WU's when our team is signed up as an FAH team. get about 1/6th the points value because of being a FAH team. some people have sub 500mhz comps that aren't being used for FAH, so it would be a way to use them, and start a seperate team as well. just an idea- what do you think about this?

D2OL stands for drug design optimization lab. they are using DC comps for the evaluation of potential drugs to combat SARS, E-Bola, Anthrax, and Smallpox. each drug "candidate" is evaluated through 20 "conformers" which if i have this correct, are 20 different docking positions around the molecule. the better the candidate, the higher the energy in the docking position.
here are some links:
http://www.d2ol.com/pathogens.html
http://d2ol.sengent.com/stats/snapshot.jsp

btw, this DC project has had some growing pains along the way, but seems to be getting better. they are in the beta test stages of some new clients, and this should be vastly improved from the current, and previous versions. they previously only had 1 dual cpu server, and 1 T1 line that was rated for about 10,000 people, but when SARS hit the news, it was serving 100,000 people, so it was a constant struggle to upload, and download to it. they have added a second T1 line, and have/ are implementing a bunch of new servers, so those problems appear to be in the past.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:56 pm

Sounds like a viable option, but lets wait a little longer (top 500) to sprout it. As to the time taken for Work units, it sound VERY appealing for the clock-underprivlaged.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby len444 » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:41 am

if possible, i might transfer my results over to the team. it might/ might not work smoothly- but if possible, i'm considering doing that.

but the idea, is that some people have some sub 500mhz comps that aren't even being used for FAH. i know that i've seen conversation from a couple of members about having some pII266's, or better that aren't used for FAH.

hey check this out, Default_Dave is talking about having a 30+ cpu solaris machine available- well D2OL has a client that'll run on a solaris machine. FAH isn't ported for solaris yet. utilize what isn't able to run FAH at present- shouldn't take away from it!

one thing though, the current client is dependant on java, and the file is quite large at 30 meg. hopefully the newer clients will be smaller, and have better features for enhanced control.

another thing, is the client seems to runs faster on linux (quite a bit), esp. when compared to win98. others have stated that the speed difference is less when compared to winxp.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Motherboards.org Folding Team