Help building a cheap pc

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Help building a cheap pc

Postby lyzar » Wed May 15, 2002 8:03 am

My mother who is the most computer illiterate person on the planet (remember those jokes about people using the CD-Rom for a cup holder?) Well she wants a computer for cheap that can surf the web and can do simple word processing.

I figure a Celeron system is the best way to go but I have no clue what a good but inexpensive Celeron motherboard would be - Anyone know of any inexpensive but good Celeron boards - no over clocking needs just simple computer that works maybe video and sound on board something like that.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Lyzar

Cheap P3 600E
Tyan S1854
GeForce TI 200
Dell 2026 20" Monitor
Generic Case
Crappy Ram (256megs PC100)
Maxtor 30 gig HD
lyzar
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Wed May 15, 2002 11:54 am

I'd recommend the Asus TUSL2-C. It has everything except on-board video. A very good board that is stable and affordable at $82.00 at Essential Computers

Check it out, and let me know what you think! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Happen » Wed May 15, 2002 2:36 pm

Have you thought about going to a auction place like ubid.com and getting an off lease computer. My father wanted a paperweight oops, I mean computer and I found an off lease 233mmx for a 125 dollars. it came with everything but a monitor and a sound card. it saved me alot of headaches and as i predicted it became a huge paperweight.
Happen
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Pechorin » Fri May 17, 2002 11:56 am

A Celeron system somewhere between 500-850 mhz can be built for pretty cheap. Also, I would consider looking at Duron based systems as you can get a more powerful processor for less cash when compared to the Celerons.

As far as motherboards go, your probably looking for something that runs SDRAM opposed to the more expensive DDR.

I used to have an Abit SL6 that supports Celerons up to 1 ghz. A quick search on pricewatch.com says they can be gotten for around $70 shipped. The Asus TUSL-C is also a fine board. Both have onboard video and sound. The Asus IDE controller runs at ATA100 while the Abit is at ATA66.

However, I have gotten several good boards off Ebay in the $30-50 range, shipped. My latest was a Gigabyte 7dx-c for my brother that supports his Duron 1.0 nicely as well as DDR ram--for $35 shipped. If you know what your looking for and don't mind a 30 day warranty, an auction might be an option.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
--Nelsen Mandela
Pechorin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to General