The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 2:47 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

I can't get the search feature in these forums to accept quotes in order to search for exact phrases.

If I type in "Windows upgrade", I get everything that has "windows" in it. In other words - almost every post in the forum.

If I type in "AMD K-6", I get every post that has AMD in it, not just the "AMD K-6" posts.

Why won't the search feature look for exact phrases? Or, am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:40 pm 
Drunken Master

here are the instructions for the search...

Search for Keywords:
You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:57 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the reply. I understand how to use AND and OR, but I was looking for a way to use quotes for the "exact phrase" like you can do in some search engines.

Just using the AND type of search for say (Windows AND XP) looking for info on "Windows XP", I might get a post talking about how "Windows" 98 software works with an Athlon "XP" processor, for example, which has nothing to do with "Windows XP". Yes, I suppose you could write a string of "NOT Athlon" and "NOT 98", but it is so much easier to just say "Windows XP" and not have to put in a bunch of modifiers.

I guess that's not supported in this search engine, but I still love the Mobo Forums!

Thanks again for your reply :wink:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]