SEARCH won't use "quotes"

Please post here with problems or errors you receive while using the forums. This is not for hardware tech support. If you are having problems logging in or registering please post here (you can post as guest - post the username you are having issues with - DO NOT POST YOUR PASSWORD)

Moderator: The Mod Squad

SEARCH won't use "quotes"

Postby Reef33 » Fri May 23, 2003 2:47 pm

I can't get the search feature in these forums to accept quotes in order to search for exact phrases.

If I type in "Windows upgrade", I get everything that has "windows" in it. In other words - almost every post in the forum.

If I type in "AMD K-6", I get every post that has AMD in it, not just the "AMD K-6" posts.

Why won't the search feature look for exact phrases? Or, am I doing it wrong?

Thanks for any help!
"How many times do I have to tell you; wear your gloves when you handle humans."
Reef33
Initiate
Initiate

Postby MoboCop » Tue May 27, 2003 6:40 pm

here are the instructions for the search...

Search for Keywords:
You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Reef33 » Sat May 31, 2003 12:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I understand how to use AND and OR, but I was looking for a way to use quotes for the "exact phrase" like you can do in some search engines.

Just using the AND type of search for say (Windows AND XP) looking for info on "Windows XP", I might get a post talking about how "Windows" 98 software works with an Athlon "XP" processor, for example, which has nothing to do with "Windows XP". Yes, I suppose you could write a string of "NOT Athlon" and "NOT 98", but it is so much easier to just say "Windows XP" and not have to put in a bunch of modifiers.

I guess that's not supported in this search engine, but I still love the Mobo Forums!

Thanks again for your reply :wink:
"How many times do I have to tell you; wear your gloves when you handle humans."
Reef33
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Forum Problems/Errors