Kids?

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby KiD » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:25 pm

i AM 13 and cant wait till i am 14 YEa Birthday money :lol:

I hate school pcs, my school Has new pcs Win xp fast internet ect But they have decided to keep the old pc room aswell Which has win 95 Only 2 have internet(Slow internet) And most of the sites are restriced :evil: :evil: :evil: Makes me Mad
KiD
Initiate
Initiate

Postby hypnotik » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:38 pm

It doesn't get any better with age. While I was studying my Masters (in multimedia, no less) some students didn't know what Windows Explorer was 8O

And I'm not talking about the Mac users.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

-Voltaire
hypnotik
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby some_random_guy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:38 am

yea its pretty bad. David4991 what school do you go to? We have Comp Lit as freshmen too. We have pos computers that struggle to run Windows2000pro (at least its stable). It takes 10 minutes just to log in. The people i sit next to in my computer art class arent morons though(thank God) so instead of doing work my friend brings a burned cd full of old genisis roms. I'm failing that class. Today we played a japanese dbz(dont know what it was called because it was in japanese duh) and Contra 4. We usually play Bevis and Butthead and other fun games too.

Yesterday I overheard some kids talking in the class "My computer wan really slow, so I downloaded a new graphix card. Now its much better."
And when I try to talk to people its usually like:
me - "Do you know what your processor speed is?"
them - "of course I do. Its 16 megahearts. Its either that or 16 gigabites. I can never remember the names."
me - "wow where did you get it?"
them - "I built it myself"
me - "riiiiiiiiiitte...."
them - "No i did I swear. My dad helped me you can even ask me. He's really computer smart. Thats how I know how fast it is"
me - :roll:
Did you know that 64% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
If quizes are quizzical, then what are tests?
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

save the drama for your mama
some_random_guy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby effika » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:48 am

We had a computers course that everyone had to go through at my high school to graduate. I saved it until my senior year so I'd have something easy, and in the hopes that they'd do away with the requirement. They didn't do away with the requirement, unfortunately. The class was a /breeze/ though. The class was basically how to use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. My instructor was pretty funny, even if he was a little computer-illiterate. After we "learned" Word, he said "Every other Microsoft program is like Word. I'm not going to teach the rest of the semester-- so look busy on the internet or something."

I left school early quite a bit from that class. :)
You should fold.
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:37 pm

I'm currently 15, 3 moths away ffrom 16 - built 4-5 rigs, and rebuilt my own at-least 20 times. Started out as a nOOb but learned quick - that's why the stupidity of kids in a computer class pisses me off. (Ever seen someone point to the tower and go No - that's a monitor! (yells at you then stomps away). I remember the class last year - okay class - today we learn how to turn the computer on.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby zackr » Fri May 02, 2003 11:20 pm

I just turned 15 a couple of months ago. I really got into computers about 8 months ago and I decided that I would start cutting grass to raise money for my computer I raised a little over $600. I bought
AMD XP 2000
ABIT KX7-333
PNY 256 PC2100DDR
WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GIG
MSI DVD-ROM
GEFORCE 4 MX 440
GENERIC CASE 400WT

Since then I have upgraded to
AMD 2500 Barton o'cd 2800
Asus A7V-333x
512MB PC 2700DDR (KINGSTON)
WESTERN DIGITAL 80 GIG
GEFORCE 4 MX 440 (SOON TO BE A 4800 SE)
YELLOW CHIEFTEC CASE 400WT
LITE ON 48X CDRW
THE DVD ROM GOT JAMMED AND BROKE
zackr
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Deathsythe » Fri May 02, 2003 11:24 pm

Hey you young men and women should feel lucky, when I was going to school all we had was Apple IIc's. Try working with those dinosaurs now lol.
CPU = Intel 3.06ghz
MOTHERBOARD = MSI 875P NEO LSR
RAM = Corsair 1024mb PC2700 XMS
OS = Win XP Sp2
POWER SUPPLY = Antec true power 480w
VIDEO CARD = PNY GF 6600 256MB
CASE =Antec PLUSVIEW 1000AMG
DVD = Lite on 16x
CDRW = Lite on 52x-24x-52x
Deathsythe
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby barmouth » Wed May 14, 2003 1:41 pm

Log tables and slide rule at my school. Ha.

At university I had to learn fortran, all the while thinking 'I could do this in Excel'. Failed that module through absence!

My father worked as a design engineer for Rolls Royce jet engines, and came home with the first calculator, an HP.

Prior to that he designed at a company that built autopilots for military a/craft. I will never forget the computer room (I was about 10) about 30 metres by 20 and a track snaking up and down carrying punch cards. I suppose it was just one computer.
barmouth
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby steve6787 » Fri May 23, 2003 10:50 am

Just a couple of stories to add. When I was in college, some of the students where quite new to the computer concept. Which makes me wonder why someone who doesnt even know how to turn on a pc, would want to spend all that money going to school for computers!!! Anyway, conversation goes something like this....

Student to my friend: How do you get that pointy thing to move across
the screen?
My friend: Use the mouse.
Student: Whats a mouse?

I couldnt believe what I had just heard. I didnt think that people coming to DeVry for computer programming would be that computer illiterate. Some of them literally didnt know how to turn a pc on!!! But, you would be surprised how many of those conversations we had during our first couple of trimesters!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to let you know this was at DeVry during our first trimester. For some reason I dont think they made it out of the first trimester. Oh Well!!

I graduated there in June 2001 with a Bachelor of Science in CIS(Computer Information Systems).
Phenom II X6 1055T @ 2.8GHz
Dual Boot Win7x64/Bodhi
8 GB RAM
Radeon HD 3450
60GB Vertex 2 SSD (For OS's)/750GB for Data
steve6787
Black Belt
Black Belt

Previous

Return to The Hundred Year War