best Os

This is the place where all heated debates shall reside. Non-tech topics allowed. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. "Enter at your own Risk".

Moderator: The Mod Squad

best operating system

Poll ended at Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:53 pm

windows 95
No votes
windows 98
6%
windows 98se
22%
windows 2000
6%
windows Me
3%
windows Xp
50%
Linux
13%

Total votes : 32

best Os

Postby Aibohphobia » Sat May 11, 2002 10:53 pm

ok in the spirit of voting here we go the best Os windows 95,98,98se,2000,Me,Xp or linux
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Easy

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat May 11, 2002 10:59 pm

Easy question dude....Linux! :D
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Sat May 11, 2002 11:00 pm

i feel windows xp is a more stable,faster, cleaner operating sytem with better hardware suport and driver support that will be on par if not better than anything else Ms has created within a couple of months. and i would like to add that windows Xp rocks when it comes to swiching motherboards. i have had no problems swiching between three different motherbards under xp where as win98 would not even boot after the first switch. :twisted:
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby windman » Sun May 12, 2002 2:18 am

vote XP as well

I've tryed most of the others with the exeption of Linux and found XP to better then the rest so far

I still wouldn't say it's perfect though ;)
The whole world is a game and we are but players within it

but what a game :D
windman
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

O/S

Postby Tau » Sun May 12, 2002 2:28 am

I have just installed Win XP Pro onto a spare HDD just to see how it went.
I have to say i was very impressed as i didnt have to install a single driver for my system, It did seem to take much longer than 2000 or 98SE to go on, but then it saved me time in not having to drag out all my driver discs and load them. It setup my home network first go which impressed the s**t out of me seeing as i had all sorts of trouble getting it to work originally(didnt i Tolemac !)
I do like the new style of Win XP similar to the new layout of this site, it takes a bit of getting used to tho.
I suppose the proof of the pudding is in installing the rest of the software and seeing how that goes.

And finally no i dont have a fantastic upto date super dooper pooper scooper fast machine, Iam running an AMD K6 2 450 WITH A tmc mobo
ATI Video card and 256 Ram 2x8gig HDD DVD and CD Burner.
Yes i do know it needs updating but I dont have the cash right now, the wife and three girls see to that Daughters that is not mistresses.

Will let you know how the rest goes.

Tau. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun May 12, 2002 3:03 pm

I voted Win98se, as that is what I currently use, although I've had windows XP, ME, 98, 95, 2k, and even tried linux. XP is a good all-around-OS, but it lacks in game support as of now, and, for me, it's a lot slower at booting up. I like Windows 98SE because it's easy to install and get working, plus is very fast and reliable. I don't think that XP actually has 'better' driver support. It's just got more drivers so you don't need to install them manually sometimes. XP is much slower in gaming [10-20% decrease in FPS], and doesn't even run OpenGL for many people.
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 14, 2002 1:27 am

I had to go with XP as IMHO it is one heck of an OS once you've got the right drivers going. Rock stable and very fast. I put almost all of the platforms to the classic setting, and it's just like using 95 or 98SE. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Easy

Postby BittaBrotha » Tue May 14, 2002 9:11 am

Hardware Junkie wrote:Easy question dude....Linux! :D

Then maybe a tie between XP & 2000! :lol:
WinCE, WinME, & WinNT
What does it spell?
CEMENT, guaranteed to weigh you down!
BittaBrotha
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby MoboCop » Tue May 14, 2002 9:26 am

Peter, what game support is XP lacking? I find it runs my games flawlessly.

I ran through jedi knight outcast no problems and I am in the middle of Dungeon Siege right now. Runs great.
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted - Albert Einstien
MoboCop
Drunken Master

Postby Aibohphobia » Tue May 14, 2002 2:29 pm

Well maybe it's just the drivers for my video card or something, but Half-Life didn't work in OpenGL, and Unreal Tournament didn't either, but then again now that I think back, it probably was my video card drivers [ATi]. I'll try installing it again when I get the chance and see how it goes. And also someone else I know has a nVidia card and it only runs OpenGL in some games, and the rest it crashes with. And also, doesn't it load rather slow for you guys? It used to take me like 45 seconds+, whereas in Win98SE I load in about 20.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Tue May 14, 2002 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Hundred Year War