LoL, Damn do I feel dumb....

All hardware or software issues that do not have a specific forum go here.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

LoL, Damn do I feel dumb....

Postby Rraven » Mon May 13, 2002 3:11 pm

anyway, to poke some fun at myself. I bought about a year ago as part of a package deal for my company I bought an Asus A7V133a, 950 Athlon, 128M PC133 mem and a HDD. They were buying from a fairly reputable company here in the Atlanta area so I figured why not. I figured get a break on the price cause was part of a 4 comp deal, go barebones on mine cause I had the rest of the items I would need. No one had a prob with me doing that.
Anyway left it alone til the warranty ran out on the items. Day one on that Unlocked the Athlon and started tweakin. About a week ago I started getting some really wierd lockups and Windows faults. So I was ok what have I added software wise that can cause this. Went found those programs used the removal tool and nada still the random lockup,windows errors. Sit back scratch knoggin...? What now?
Well things had gotten worse in the last week, and being the nosey buggar I am , I was like ok something is failing but what? Have ya ever tried runnin 3 hours of 3dMark2001SE and not go to sleep. Got some fairly decent scores on it then would notice a slight degrade then lockup.
Well finally, the point hit home....ADUH!! Northbridge chip!! So ok why would it run for almost a year ok then flake on me. (Remember, just started overclocking last 2 months).
So anyway I'm sittin here watching the fans go and lo and behold the fan installed on the NB chip STOPS! Bam Crash. What the hell? OK get my lil thermal prob out. set it as close in on NB as I can get 27c not bad, , then rise in temp steady to 48c bang , sys flakes out , fan on NB shuts down. I mean just stops turning. /BOGGLE
OK power down, gotta be a flacky fan, dig around spare parts see if can get one to fit. pull everything outta the way,remove MB, pinch keeper in to release pins on HS and bang it falls on the floor. Not 1mg of thermal compound on it, no thermal pad nuthin.
Uhm anyone besides me want a HS with a Via 133a outline burned into it?

LOL

Red
Rraven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby atang1 » Tue May 14, 2002 2:47 am

Just clean it up and use some super glue and push sown on the heatsink. Via can take it.
atang1

Postby Rraven » Tue May 14, 2002 3:23 am

Well Atang I woulda done that but the heatsink they had on it I wouldnt use to cool a southbridge chip on a 386 (yes I know they dont need it, just overstating what I think of it). Anyway only thing I could find around here that would fit to the pin holes was a Tt Crystal orb, so now I have a super cooled Northbridge, lol talk about overkill..

Red
Rraven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 14, 2002 11:38 am

In this instance, overkill is preferrable! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue May 14, 2002 1:24 pm

if you hear strange noises from the case it might be the clattering teeth of that VIA chip :twisted:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby paramufay » Tue May 14, 2002 3:38 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I had basicly the same problem. I overclocked my 150 mhz and it worked ok for about a month. then begain the wierd errors and fatal messages. I set the cpu back to 150 and all problems went away. perhaps if you undid the overclocking.....
Senator I have no recollection of that
paramufay
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Rraven » Tue May 14, 2002 5:36 pm

Undo the OC, well a little but , NAH!!... /Chuckle... since I put the Cr/orb on it I acutually have gained a bit I can go to 10.5x142 now where as before was hitting the peg at 139-140. I know it isnt alot but, what the heck they gave me the option to go faster... :wink:

Anyway now gonna try to upgrade my Ram to the PC150 see if I can get a bit more. I posted here originally cause I thought waas funny how sometimes we trust folks to build stuff right and they don't.

Red
Rraven
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to General