Not quite cool enough

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Not quite cool enough

Postby ~Rob » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:35 pm

I'm close, I have an Arctic Cooling ATi Silencer on my 9800Pro, Akasa 120mm fan and now a Hiper Type R PSU

But still my case temp is 35C and the CPU (AMD 2500XP-M @ 2.2Ghz) is 56C. I want to keep it quiet so I'm thinking that a couple of 80mm Vantec Stealths are in order? Anybody know how quiet these are?

I'm even tempted to get one of those Thermaltake towers, but I don't know if a quiet fan will make any difference to the temperature
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:38 am

I have to say OCing is already a given seeing you have better after market hsf/s installed. The silencer was a good move as you are exhausting heat directly outside of your case but you have to remember that the more you have a capable hsf (as in AKASA for your CPU)... the more heat you are generating inside your case.

How many intake and exhaust fan do you currently have? Moving to a lower CFM fan/s might not be a good idea as you want to pump as much cooler air in the case and the same goes with ehxausting the heat inside.

Also, if you have decent numbers of fan headers on you mobo that you can manipulate it's temp sensors, you might want to tinker on that. If not... I would suggest using fan/s controller :wink:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby ~Rob » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:25 am

I have a single 120mm fan as an exhaust and that is it. No intake fans but I have space for 2 80's. A fan controller sounds good, and I think I may have seen a really nice one from Akasa but I have to see how the LCD screen mod turns out first. at the moment it looks like I'll be using composite rather than VGA like I'd prefer :cry:

Yea, I think a fan controller with build in card reader would help along with some very quiet 80's to draw the cool air in. My PC's now ripping an Album I bought today (Fall Out Boy are really quite good) and the CPU is 51C and the case is 38C. I turned up my CPU fan to the high setting which makes it audiable, but not too annoying but it does cool it down quite a bit.

So do we all agree on a pair of 80's and a fan controller, then see how it goes and get a new HSF is need be. Maybe one with a duct-mod potential!
Jocuri cu impuscaturi si alte genuri, pentru toate varstele doar pe acest link - distractie si amuzament garantat!
~Rob
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:47 am

The problem lays on the intake part. Installing those dual 80mm intakes alone should correct your problem... of course a fan controller with nice displays would be an added bonus but if you should go with fans and controller, I would suggest you get fans with higher CFMs (there are fans that have higher CFMs but runs more quiet than average fans). They might be not as quiet as those silent-low CFM-fans in full throttle but the fan controller should tame those up and giving you more headroom if you want to move more air if needed. :wink:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks