Arctic Silver thermal adhesive & CPU's

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Arctic Silver thermal adhesive & CPU's

Postby Wyrm73 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm

I have a 1 GHz Celeron that one of the center lugs broke off the CPU socket. I tried a three prong retention bracket, but this socket only had two to start with. With two lugs on one side and only one on the other it ended up making heatsink very loose and sits on there crooked.

I was thinking of using Arctic Silver thermal adhesive to glue the heatsink on but their website says not to use it on CPU's. I am thinking it is because it makes it impossible to change the CPU in the future but is there another reason? (I don't really care that the CPU will be permanently mounted as this is a folding rig that will never be upgraded anyways.) Has anyone tried this?
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Robyn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:26 pm

I think you need a lot more pressure on a cpu to ensure a very very very thin layer between the chip and the heatsink. If you glue it, you won't have that kind of pressure and there will be a greater distance between the sink and cpu.

The adhesive/grease is a better conductor than mini air pockets between the cpu and heat sink, but is not better than the sink iteslf.
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:24 pm

When you say very loose... does that mean you have a gap between the cpu and the heatsink? OR loose as in when you secure the retention clips the heatsink shifts and thus making it crooked?
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Wyrm73 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:57 pm

I don't think there are any gaps, but you can move the heatsink around a lot easier than usual. It's not floppy or wobbly, but you can scoot it around pretty effortlessly with a single finger. Also, the CPU die has gotten pretty blue leading me to believe that it was overheating previously although I never had a temperature monitor on this particular machine.

My plan was to put a thin layer of adhesive and put something heavy on top of it until it cures. I was then going to attach the retention bracket when I was done, just in case.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:56 pm

I'm using Thermalright SLK-800 which is very heavy on my tbred and it does move/shift easy but causing no harm to my temps. Permanent AS should work perfectly if you don't mind having a cpu+hsf becoming one single piece :P
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tulatin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:58 pm

WHOA! STOP! You will undoubtedly KILL that poor cpu. With the force of gravity on the heatsink suddenly concentrated on your die, a small BUMP and *CRACK* you have heatsinks making all sorts of strange noises with videocards. Your best bet is to purchase a lin-lin adaptor (that takes Tualatin CPUs and puts them on older boards) then just configure it for use with your proc on your board. It's cheaper, and it's safe. They start from (and oft sell at) a cent from hong-kong. Go down this route and save yourself the chip death.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Wyrm73 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:20 pm

Um....you're about a day too late. It is already a done deal.

It's not going to be hanging only from the CPU die. I plan on leaving the retention clip attached, I'm just using the adhesive to hold it straight and hopefully provide extra insurance against overheating. I need to reinstall Windows and we will see if it worked. If not, it's only an old Celeron. 8)
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:32 am

Yeah, but you're never getting that old celeron out of the socket either.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Twisty » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Tulatin wrote:Yeah, but you're never getting that old celeron out of the socket either.

Is that because one needs to take the heatsink off to undo the CPU lever, LOL.

The only Tualatin adaptor I could find on Ebay was going to cost about £20 from Australia! May as well have a play with the Celeron as if it breaks you can get a mobo+CPU+memory bundle for not much on Ebay.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks