Toasty Athlon XP

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Toasty Athlon XP

Postby WoodyJR33 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:12 am

So after reading a ridiculous amount of old postings within these forums I have realized that my computer needs to be reworked and sorted out. At the moment my CPU (Athlon XP 2500+ Barton) was running at 58C only folding. Case (Antec Aria) was at 43C. Now I know running a microatx case will automatically bump the heating up a bit, but my PCI fan died on me and now things are getting a little toasty in there.

I have taken note that changing my thermal paste to Arctic Silver 5 might be a worthy investment. The one thing I worry about is trying to replace the stock heatsink and fan with something bigger in such a tiny case. There is an optional fan bracket in the case for an aftermarket cpu heatsink that can fit 92mm but prefered is 80mm.

So needless to say, I plan on taking a PCI firewire card out of the comp which is just taking up space, plan on replacing the PCI fan to help air circulation out of the case, ideally I'd like to work on the cables, I have round but some are too long, so will try to get shorter ones to get rid of slack......but the big question is my ridiculously hot CPU.

Will new thermal grease be enough? Any suggestions on a HS/F that would fit into that 80mm space or the Aria case if anyone has experience with it? Thanks to all ahead of time. :)
WoodyJR33
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby tonycarr » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:10 pm

A new application of thermal grease may give 1 or 2C , not very much .
You need more airflow through the case and a copper cpu cooler with an adjustable fan so you can speed it up in warmer weather .
E Pluribus Unum
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Twisty » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:40 pm

Also with a case temp of over 40C you are more likely to damage other things in the case. For example electrolitic capacitors are filled with liquid, if they get too hot this liquid evaporates killing the capacitor.

Ways to get heat out are:-

Remove dust
Fit more fans pushing air in/out of case
Use a heatsink on the vidoe card that vents air directly to outside
Modify case, e.g add blowhole etc.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks