I think I'm failing

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I think I'm failing

Postby Robyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:30 pm

After breaking my USB port and RMA'ing the board, I've installed everything on my new board, sent back the old one (or they keep my money) and essentially only changed my CPU fan. I put everything back except this time I decided maybe to put that quieter fan back on, since my differences between it and the tornado were relatively low http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/nefelejts/Puting/temps.jpg as you can see in my dorkified graph.

So when I put my old fan back on (the blue enermax one) I should not be idling in bios at 50C!

I redid the goop, made sure everything was tightened like it should be, WTF could be going on??? Could my new mobo be just messed up? Should I harass Abit, redo the goop again, or try to pick up geeks at lanparties to help me out?

edit: Duh, I have an abit ic7max3 with a 3.2c (northwood) chip running at the normal specs. The cooler is a thermalright sp-94 (with pretty heatpipes) and switched back to a 92mm enermax fan (adjustable but at full tilt) from a vantec tornado fan (which was rather loud for it's whopping 2degree difference)
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:33 pm

Have you updated the motherboards BIOS?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Robyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:17 pm

I tried but they came already on the newest bios. My old board was on like revision 25 and this one's on 28. But most of the changes seem prescott related.
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:05 pm

some prescotts will always run hot

at least its not like this
http://motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78839
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Sabrewings » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:14 pm

Robyn wrote:I tried but they came already on the newest bios. My old board was on like revision 25 and this one's on 28. But most of the changes seem prescott related.

Ummm... It only goes up to like 18.... 8O

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/ ... &model=130

You sure you haven't been flashing it with the IC7/IC7-G BIOS?? They're up to 28...

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bios/ ... =1&model=4
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Robyn » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:31 pm

Hmm... okay so I don't actually know the number that it is. I just remember that it was whatever the max was, and that on my old board I stopped getting new bioses since they just kept upgrading the prescott stuff and I figured they're done with me and my kind. I was using the auto bios flashing abit program thing. Before i was messing with the bios and booted straight out of the box it was hot, and that was on whatever abit installed there before they sent it to me.

I do not have a prescott.

Should I try flashing the bios using a floppy all old-skool style? I do hate doing that, but I will. I have all the auto shut-down stuff (70C) in case she decides to try to fry.

It is possible i still overgooped, but if so it can't be by much, as i did it right before.

Sigh, maybe I should have just dealt with the old board.
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Robyn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:18 pm

I tried reapplying the goop again a few times and I still start in the bios in the low 40s and it creeps slowly up to about 50 at about 1 degree/minute. The case temp is below 30. I put the tornado back on there.

I tried spreading the paste like the older AS's but still same temps. I really don't think i'm applying too much, or at least not enough to be this much of too much.

I'm really close to just paying someone to deal with it. Any suggestions of where to look to find someone? I'm in the twin cities area of Minnesota. I'm just really out of ideas. The case isn't the prob, the hsf isn't the prob, the chip isn't the prob, and calling abit is worse than having Ollie help me.

The whole thing makes me very sad. I will not have this thing fixed in time for our lan party this weekend.
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:33 pm

Try this....

Remove the heatsink and fan... Wipe the big black diode in the centre of the CPU socket with a moist cloth. Remove the northbridge heatsink and fan and clean it all up ( a new clean dry paint brush is handy here). Clean the thermal compound off the CPU and base of the heatsink. Replace the CMOS battery with a brand new one (and clear the CMOS at the same time)... Put it back together applying the thinnest coat possible of thermal compound on the CPU.. Also could be worthwhile investing in a new power supply...
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Robyn » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Mr T wrote:Remove the heatsink and fan... Wipe the big black diode in the centre of the CPU socket with a moist cloth. Remove the northbridge heatsink and fan and clean it all up ( a new clean dry paint brush is handy here). Clean the thermal compound off the CPU and base of the heatsink. Replace the CMOS battery with a brand new one (and clear the CMOS at the same time)... Put it back together applying the thinnest coat possible of thermal compound on the CPU.. Also could be worthwhile investing in a new power supply...

I really really really don't want to sound flippant, but can I ask why? (damned science training makes me curious about stuff). Would a dirty diode really make it think it was hotter or make it hotter? I've never touched the northbridge before- how does that play a role? And why do you suspect a power issue of my PSU or cmos battery? My PSU didn't have problems before i switched the boards. It's a thermaltake 420W.

I also have no idea about this board's history. I should have been patienter and just made them fix and return my exact board, or have just dealt with the usb problem. arrrgh.
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:42 pm

A dirty diode can do this... Found out on my IC7max3.... The northbridge can cause a whole host of issues if it over heats (which affects CPU performance)... A PSU that supplies a weak voltage to the CPU can cause this issue - the voltage is weak, so the PSU/CPU compensates by drawing more amps, this causes the temp to rise on the CPU.... An old or dying BIOS battery can cause a multitude of oddities....

However if your system is running fine with only the temp readings high, don't worry and ignore the above... BIOS temp readings can be way out...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks