AC for Case

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby scottla » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:04 am

Hi Craig, the answer to your intelligent question is: Unfortunately, yes.

The "desk" is actually part of a built-in cabinet system that runs along the wall -- almost More Spam Vomit. There are some file drawers, the CPU cabinet and then an opening for your legs to tuck under. I've already got a PC on top of the work surface in the corner where a full length "closet" starts, and that's a more powerful system, so there's no more room above.

The PC will survive under there quite nicely until you put it under load. The VGA card -- the white hot 6800 -- kicks in and within about 10 minutes it triggers the heat warning shut-off.

Hence all the machinations to find a solution...
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:38 am

scottla wrote:Hi Craig, the answer to your intelligent question is: Unfortunately, yes.

The "desk" is actually part of a built-in cabinet system that runs along the wall -- almost More Spam Vomit. There are some file drawers, the CPU cabinet and then an opening for your legs to tuck under. I've already got a PC on top of the work surface in the corner where a full length "closet" starts, and that's a more powerful system, so there's no more room above.

The PC will survive under there quite nicely until you put it under load. The VGA card -- the white hot 6800 -- kicks in and within about 10 minutes it triggers the heat warning shut-off.

Hence all the machinations to find a solution...

Dear Scottla,

I spent some time today drawing up an idea for you, scanning it, and then discovering I didn't know quite how to get an image file inserted into a post here in the forum or into a Private Message for you. I could e-mail it to you if you want to trust me with your e-mail address.

Anyway....

My idea is to cut two holes in the rear-most side of your CPU cabinet and fill the holes with exhaust fans. One fan about the height of the PSU, and the other at the height of the Video-Card.

The front door of your cabinet could be cut, and an air intake vent installed near the lower front of the door. Air comes in via the door intake vent, and is drawn out the side of the cabinet where the cabinet meets the wall of your home.

Cool air enters via the intake vent in the door and the fans will exhaust air out the back of the cabinet.

You could duct the airflow somewhere if your feet get too warm. :)

Depending on the type of fan(s) used, power can come from the computer power supply, a separate power supply, or your house electrical system.

Below are some links for you to brainstorm with.

Sincerely,
Craig

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=306877&pfp=BROWSE
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299936&pfp=BROWSE
http://www.homedepot.com
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tulatin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:16 am

Why not just modify the cabinet? Put 2-4 quiet 120MM fans up front with dust filtering, and the rest works itself out
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:51 am

I'd rather setup a water-cooling kit.

How effective is that thing?
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby scottla » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:10 pm

Sorry for losing the thread. Been a way for a few days.

First, Mr.Craig -- thanks for your above and beyond the call of duty thinking. No need to send a graphic. I get it from your write-up. It's an excellent idea, however there's now way certain other family members are going to let me take a Sawzall to the new built-ins! (Trust me, I know of what I speak.)

After much thought, I decided to go with an external water cooling unit -- the Zalman Reserator 1Plus (black one). I should have it in a few days and will keep y'all posted as to the details of the install and its performance.

From what I read, it does good work keeping things cool, dropping CPU and VGA temps 1-3C range. Even if that doesn't happen with me, the critical development is that radiator will be OUTSIDE the case and, by extension, the cabinet. For starters, it will fit nicely in the corner of the desktop -- I can feed the tubes thru the monitor hole grommet. If all goes well and the pump can handle it, I going to try and run the tubing off to the left a meter or so and stand the radiator in the corner.

As to the AC unit, I damn near did it just because it seems so cool (no pun intended), but the more I read up on it, the less I thought it would be practical. According to the Tom's Hardware review, the AC, when on, draws 54W and puts out 50db (yes 50 8O) of noise! The electricity alone would be a few hundred $US a year just to keep on. Then there would evenually be the cost of a hearing aid.

To be fair, it does perform as billed, however, dropping the interior temp substantially, and component temps 2-3C at the CPU and 3-5C at the VGA card.

More as I learn it.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MrCraigCraig » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:35 pm

Dear Scottla,

You're welcome.

I like your idea too. I hadn't thought of running coolant hoses outside of the cabinet and allowing heat to exchange somewhere more convenient and efficient.
Excellent! 8)

Congratulations! Please keep us posted, thanks.

Sincerely,
Craig
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Previous

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks