AC for Case

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

AC for Case

Postby scottla » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:33 am

Speaking of cooling the air in the PC Case, has anyone ever played with one of these? It has a built-in AC unit in the air intake. And, the whole case w/PSU costs the same as the Zalman Res 1 Plus.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cas-316.html

Seems like a great idea, with the caveat that if it's too cold, wouldn't it lead to condensation inside the case? The combo of water, components and eletricity never seems to turn out well...
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:19 am

why would you need to cool your case that much unless your a super overclocker
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby scottla » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:51 am

The key problem is that my PC case is in a cabinet. The way my work space in configured at home, if it's not in the cabinet under the desk (a built-in cabinet system), then it is just sitting out on the floor pretty much in the middle of everything. I can't keep it on the desk because of another PC, plus printer, monitor, etc.

The rig is modestly overclocked, but that's not the real problem. When it's left in the cabinet, even with the door open and running stock (no OC), ambient temps eventually climb too high for safe operation. In particular, I have to REMOVE the PC to play games because the video card pumps out so much heat it eventually cuts off.

That's why I'm looking into options. One (see my other post) might be the Zalman Reserator, thinking I can run some longish tubing to the corner, where I could sit the radiator (drawing heat away from the cabinet). The other was this concept of actually cooling the inside of the case -- hence inside the cabinet itself.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Copper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am

looking at that ac unit , and looking at the mounting holes for the the motherboard , it wouldnt allow a full size motherboard to fit into the case
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:31 am

also before you get something like that make sure it fits in your cabinet

just reminding you so you don't do what i did before
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: AC for Case

Postby joshvee » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:18 am

scottla wrote:
Seems like a great idea, with the caveat that if it's too cold, wouldn't it lead to condensation inside the case? The combo of water, components and eletricity never seems to turn out well...
So long as the entire inside of the case is kept cool with the AC, you wont get condensation inside the case because ALL the air inside the case is the same temperature.
You may get some condensation on the outside of the case at the exhaust fan but the inside will be fine.

I know this from first hand experience because I have used ducting from a household AC to cool a computer b4.
The other problem can occur when you shut off the computer. The warm air rushing in after the AC is turned off can cause condensation.
The way to combat this is to make a dry box. Place the whole computer into a cabinet or an insulated box. I used an eskie.
Then run ducting from the AC into the box and cool the entire box. This way when you switch off the AC, the computer will warm up to room temp gradually and therefor avoid condensation.

The box should be as below with a spring air vent that opens when the air con is on but closes when the air con is shut off. This prevents warm air getting in too fast when the AC is shut off, but allows an exhaust vent when AC is on. the vent and the AC inlet can be on the sides as shown or in front and back.

joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby scottla » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:33 am

Joshvee, that's the full monty right there! Cool. Maybe I could turn my entire cabinet space into one of those. :-k

I've read up on the reviews of this case at this point and there's been no complaint about mobo installs. Must be either easier than it looks, or possibly you can move/remove the AC unit for install.

The power requirements of the AC is pretty hardcore. I wonder if turning it on after PC boot would send a spike?

The reviews consistently show temp drops in the 10C range inside the case and 3-5C at the CPU at full load. This seems pretty significant.

The intriguing part is that the whole set-up is $299, while a high-end case + a good PSU can run $200+ alone. Add watercooling on top of that ($200+) and an LCD fan controller/monitor ($40-100) and this unit looks like a real deal.

BTW, checked the spec's and it fits. Thanks for the warning Dave. Indeed, it's always the little $h!t that get's ya!
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Southwind25 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:06 pm

I do basically the same thing Josh described with my folding machines with the exception that they are all in the same small room with a window AC ($110 at Walmart) added and the door is shut. I keep the room temp well below 70 deg F. In the winter I just close off all the heat ducts in the room and leave the window slightly open and clock them up a little more.
Condensation isn't a problem because they're never shut off and restarted.
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby scottla » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:50 pm

So, I think I'll ultimately go with the Zalman Reserator 1 Plus and put the radiator on the desk or off to the corner. That should draw the heat out. I'm a bit concerned that the exhaust out the bottom of this case will ultimately be recycled into the machine after a while of use. Somewhat self-defeating at that point.

Anyway, check this out:

http://www.apw.com/productsServices/productShowcase/raptor547.jsp

I'm thinking I could cut one of these babies into the side of the cabinet with the exhaust at my feet under the desk. Cold PC, warm feet. Perfect!

Checking on pricing. My guess is they cost a ton.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:33 pm

Is there some reason you can't simply open the back of the cupboard the computer is place in, so that air won't be trapped and forced to re-enter the computer?

Sincerely,
MrCraigCraig
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks