heatpipe or fins. copper or aluminum

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

heatpipe or fins. copper or aluminum

Postby donald » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:37 am

My topic pretty much sums up my question. This is for a cpu cooler that I will be running a duct to. Thanx
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:33 am

The optimal solution as far as material (and this kinda depends on how its implemented) is a copper base/core touching the CPU and aluminum fins (or whatever part the air moves over). The reason is that copper is a great metal->metal conductor of heat. However, it slows down as it tries to transfer that heat to air. Aluminum can still absorb heat from the copper pretty well, but absolutely excels at transferring it to air.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:44 pm

In a nutshell.

Copper fins are better in an application with a high air flow.
Aluminium fins are better for an application with a low air flow (e.g extra quiet fans).

Although the design of heatsink can also infulence this. However this is why you see some heatsinks offered either in copper for maximum performance or with aluminium fins for quiet performance.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby spb251272 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:47 am

I used to have the XP120 which is aluminium, and now have the XP90c which is copper. Both have heatpipes, and both are about the same, performance-wise. The only diff is that I don't have to have a whopper 120mm fan with the XP90c.

I would say that a lot depends on the usage - will you be overclocking ( aliitle or a lot), does it need to be quiet or silent? These should help you answer some of the questions regarding which type of HSF combo you should use.

MountainMods U2-UFO / Asus A8N SLI Premium
X2 3800+@2.5Ghz / XP90c / 2GB OCZ Gold GE XTC
2 x XFX 7900GT SLI / VF900-CU / 2 x 200GB WD
Tagan EasyCon 530W / Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech G7
spb251272
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks