Winter and exhaust fan idea

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Winter and exhaust fan idea

Postby donald » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:26 am

What is the best way to keep the pc cool during the winter. Summer is fine because you have the ac running. But the heater. Also, would it be a good idea to mount a fan on top of the case as an exhaust fan to move more heat out? Hot air rises.
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Winter and exhaust fan idea

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:25 am

donald wrote:What is the best way to keep the pc cool during the winter. Summer is fine because you have the ac running. But the heater.

My PC tends to run cooler in the winter, despite having the heater on. Actual temps in your house tend to be cooler in the winter. It's just that you feel warmer since the vents are blowing warm air.

donald wrote:Also, would it be a good idea to mount a fan on top of the case as an exhaust fan to move more heat out? Hot air rises.

Yes, that's a common mod that tends to work well.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:50 am

When you have five computers running in one room you don't need the heater...

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:59 am

Purplejulia wrote:When you have five computers running in one room you don't need the heater...

Yeah, with my Northwood OC'd heavily and Folding, the upstairs of my house stays nice and toasty, and I only have to run my heater at minimal levels to keep the rest of house warm.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

2 more questions

Postby donald » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:53 pm

I have a 3ghz p4 prescott with a 800mhz fb. what would be a better cooler that the intel? socket 478. Also what is a good choice to keep my 6600gt cooler?
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:28 am

Last winter I was in these horrid halls with horrid smelly electric heaters in the rooms. I did not turn my heater on once, just left my computer on most of the time instead ;)

Room temperature should be the same, or lower in the winter than in the summer so you should be no worse off unless your PC in right next to the radiator.

Exhaust fans on the top of the PC work well but it is important to consider all matters, fans drawing air in at the bottom can be just as important as fans exhausting at the top. A bit of dusting can make a big difference too.

The single best mod I have found to improve air cooling is using ducts to direct air from outside the case onto the CPU.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:19 am

I use this heatsink with this fan (minus the blue LEDs) to cool my CPU. Keeps it at 30C idle and 50C load, and that's overclocked a 3.0 Northwood to 3.6ghz.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

frustrating

Postby donald » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:42 pm

I get all these ideas in my head of how to get better air flow into my case, but I can't seem to find a way to get it to work. For instance, I have no use for my 2 3.5" bays. I was going to open it up somehow and put a fan behind there but nothing would look good. Cpu is running 48C idle, vga at 55c idle. This is way too high I have a feeling. If I run a duct somewhere I will lose a case fan. I am just lost.
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:12 am

You are only going to fit small case fans directly into the space created by two 3.5" bays. Small fans=noisy

Maybe if you show us a pic of the profile of your case people here can give a couple of suggestions.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

I got it

Postby donald » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:54 am

I think thats where I am going to run my air duct there for my cpu. I'm going to make a grill or something where the two cover plates of the 3.5" drives and mount the fan behind that along with the duct. NOw to figure out how to keep the vga cool.
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks