New Prescott Record: 91 C!!!

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Tulatin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:27 am

Hmm, i'll have to test the vanessa if i can get my hands on one :)
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby kychram » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:17 pm

Tulatin wrote:Hmm, i'll have to test the vanessa if i can get my hands on one :)

I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. It looks like some 11 year old princess' idea of what a cooler should look like, but the performance specs from other reviews I've read put it right up there! And... the price is right! :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby felony » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:53 pm

are u sure ur hsf and on right or u didnt put to much or too less thermal grease cuz those temps are amazing. at those temp if u touch the cpu even with ur finger wet it might not hurt u but it will leave a permenant finger print on it....dont even ask how i know this....lol. oh and my big typhoon is awesome. i just noticed when i lapped it it has a huge dip in the middle. the lapping kit started with 400 grit sandpaper imma have to buy 200 grit and 300 grit then relap my tt bt. good luck and if u just want to give me that cpu or chuck here for like 10 bucks message me first plz.
Intel Pentium 4 2.6C HT @ 3.01,Abit AI7, Leadtek 6800GT(350/1000)@410/1150, Corsair XMS Pro Series 1GB (2x512) DDR400, Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB, Maxtor 200gb IDE, Ultra X-Connect 500 Watt PSU, Lite-On DVD-DL Burner, Big Typhoon HSF lapped
felony
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby kychram » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:53 am

Yeah, I can assure you that everything is installed properly, with the grease that came with the Coolwave. The temps I run regularly are not out of the ordinary, as I've checked quite a few reviews of this cpu while using the standard intel HSF and they all seem to idle in the high 40s and spike to 70 or so under load. That is what mine usually does. I guess that the virus scan was pretty intense and then I finally cracked the big Nine-Oh!

felony wrote: if u just want to give me that cpu or chuck here for like 10 bucks message me first plz.

Sorry, when it's time to retire this griddle, it's going on Ebay as a "previously loved and certain to be missed unique opportunity to own one of the last of the great single-core computers!" I might sell it on Ebay Canada so at least the new owner can keep warm in the winters! :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Southwind25 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:54 am

Sorry, when it's time to retire this griddle, it's going on Ebay as a "previously loved and certain to be missed unique opportunity to own one of the last of the great single-core computers!"

Previously owned by a little old lady from Pasadena and only overclocked and used for gaming on Sunday. Comes complete with a 30 minute or one boot guarantee. :wink: :lol:
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kychram » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:55 am

Honest! The little old lady only booted it up in the Pasadena church on Sundays! :D

I took Tulatin's wise advice and trudged off to the store to get a TT Big Typhoon. The surprisingly knowledgeable salesperson asked me if my mobo was horizontal or vertical. When I told him vertical, he said that that they had already had two cases of people bolting the TT BT onto vertical mobos and cracking them! The thing weighs as much as I do, so it's like leveraging a boulder on a vertical popsicle stick! So I explained to him about trying to compute on a supernova and asked him which cooler I should get and he sold me the Zalman CNPS7700.

It looks great! :D

It mounts easy! :D

It's very quiet! :D

It doesn't work worth a damn! 8O

I'm running at least two or three degrees above what that crappy Spire Coolwave was running!

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE SELL ME AN AMD WINDSOR BETA? ALPHA? ANYTHING! I'M DESPERATE! GET ME OUT OF PRESCOOKERLAND!!! PLEASE!!!
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:34 am

Looks like the temp monitor is way off..... 8O
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby kychram » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi, Mr. T! I've gone through the rigamarole with the temps for months. In the absence of an actual temp probe, I've tried darn near every utility on the market and settled on SpeedFan. The BIOS on my Abit SG80 mobo is so far off as to be laughable and there are no patches as far as I can find. The BIOS reads an average of 15 C higher than SpeedFan at any given time. The thing with switching between the Spire and the Zalman is that the rest of the system, both hardware and software, was completely untouched. I'm getting the temp readings through an uninterrupted, functioning SpeedFan. So I don't know what the heck to do other than ignore it, hope that it doesn't melt down and wait for a Windsor in the Spring! :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:41 pm

If the CPU ran at 91 deg C it would burn out very rapidly... Remember that all software related temp/voltage readings within windows , come off the BIOS anyway... True method of reading is to attach a calibrated probe to the base of the CPU die or the heatsink... On my Abit IC7maxIII board, the BIOS reads the CPU temp at about 45 deg C (Prescott 3.2).. I have a Coolermater Aquagate water cooler on the CPU with a probe attached to the die of the CPU... Probe reading rarely goeas above 37 deg C....
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby EmilyB » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:01 pm

I think Mr T is right. 91c is just f***ing insane I really cannot believe it, even with a pressy.
EmilyB

PreviousNext

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks