New Prescott Record: 91 C!!!

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby kychram » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:33 pm

I couldn't believe it either when it happened, and I should have thought to take a screenshot and post it. Regardless, it definitely read 91 for a few seconds but the rest of the time it was in the 80s. With the Spire CoolWave (and now with the Zalman which has raised temps by a couple of degrees) it's idling in the high 40s, any activity at all, even playing mp3s on Windows Media Player will bring it to the low 50s and then if I try to do anything interesting at all, we see low 60s spiking to about 70. I've read several reviews that report the same temps with the 5 and 6 hundred series Prescott, so I don't think I'm alone! It was during that long scan that I saw a 91. I don't have a probe so I can't tell you what the die, etc. exact temps are but I can tell you that the BIOS is almost always at least 15 C over the SpeedFan reading, so when I saw 91, the BIOS could have read 106 or more! I know that is nuts, but I'm just telling it like it is. The case, even with all the fans blasting gets absolutely hot to the touch, and if I take the sidecover off (the PC sits on the floor next to my desk) I can actually feel the heat on the side of my leg, so I can tell you that with my official calibrated leg probe, this sucker is HOT! :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby DAVE1 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:03 pm

kychram wrote:I couldn't believe it either when it happened, and I should have thought to take a screenshot and post it. Regardless, it definitely read 91 for a few seconds but the rest of the time it was in the 80s. With the Spire CoolWave (and now with the Zalman which has raised temps by a couple of degrees) it's idling in the high 40s, any activity at all, even playing mp3s on Windows Media Player will bring it to the low 50s and then if I try to do anything interesting at all, we see low 60s spiking to about 70. I've read several reviews that report the same temps with the 5 and 6 hundred series Prescott, so I don't think I'm alone! It was during that long scan that I saw a 91. I don't have a probe so I can't tell you what the die, etc. exact temps are but I can tell you that the BIOS is almost always at least 15 C over the SpeedFan reading, so when I saw 91, the BIOS could have read 106 or more! I know that is nuts, but I'm just telling it like it is. The case, even with all the fans blasting gets absolutely hot to the touch, and if I take the sidecover off (the PC sits on the floor next to my desk) I can actually feel the heat on the side of my leg, so I can tell you that with my official calibrated leg probe, this sucker is HOT! :D

you could take the side off and get a huge house fan or something at walmart if your really worried about your temps

for a couple hot days in the summer i had a huge 20 inch fan blowing the inside of my case

it was very loud though
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kychram » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:58 pm

I used a big house fan this summer when we had a short heat spell. It's like working in a wind tunnel though! If the droning from the seven fans inside the case isn't bad enough, adding a huge electric fan just makes it unbearable.

If I could put the case sideways so that the mobo is horizontal, I would have bought the TT BT and then I might see more reasonable temps. The problem is that where I have it now it has to be vertical. No choice.

I'm on my third CPU HSF on this Preskillet and I have reached the point of diminishing returns as nothing I've tried (stock Intel, Spire CoolWave and Zalman) has put a dent in the temps. It's gonna live this way until it dies and then I'll be rid of it. I just hope it survives long enough to the AMD Windsor release date!!!

But I do have to shake my head at Intel's engineers. Did they develop this chip in the Arctic? Am I the only one who thinks that it's absolutely lunatic to produce a chip that effectively requires a $200+ watercooling system? Why not just come out with a label on the CPU box: "Warning: Intel Prescott Owners Must Use WaterCooling"!
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

I beat you

Postby donald » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:05 am

104C on startup
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby kychram » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:36 pm

Donald, this one I wanna hear. Tell me all about your system and how you are cultivating your own silicon volcano! :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Well

Postby donald » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:38 am

Well Kychram, I wish I could tell you. Last week I hadn't had a chance to start up my pc. So I got home one night from visiting my wife in the hospital, started up and watched it shut down. Here is the link to the story.http://www.motherboards.org/forums/view ... hp?t=80340
donald
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:02 am

Have intel done away with their thermal throttling? Becasue I thought they were supposed to slow the CPU down and reduce heat output when the die reached 70C
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby jimmy-j » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:48 pm

I just heard that the AMD M2 is to be shelved till 2006 Q2
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby kychram » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Donald that is an amazing story!!!

Webster, as far as I can tell, the thermal throttling should come on when the BIOS reads 73C. The other day I was reading mid to high 80s on Speedfan and quickly rebooted and checked BIOS. 101C!!!! Now Abit doesn't have an update for the BIOS on this SG80 mobo, so that can't be right, can it?

Yeah Jimmy, it seems that they are holding off the Windsor for about another six weeks, but then they came out with the "rumour" that there will be an FX62 coming out at that time. Now this is supposed to be a dually and it is priced much higher than the Windsor 5000+! Now if the latter is supposed to be a 2MB Cache 2.6GHz dual, is the FX62 a 2.8GHz dual? In that case, I'm salivating already. I don't care what the darn thing costs. The FX60 (whatever that is) is supposed to retail at just over a grand, so how much can they possibly ask for the FX62? Twelve, thirteen hundred? GIMME ONE! :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:32 pm

Abit at it again? Their temp readings are about the same as what Asus used to have a few years ago. I really don't know why they are even bothering with making readings at all... Without using a proper temp reading probe on your cooler there's no way of telling if these readings are even remotely accurate. Anything plastic on your cooling setup would have melted at 91 degrees C. Are you sure it's not Fahrenheit?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks