New Prescott Record: 91 C!!!

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New Prescott Record: 91 C!!!

Postby kychram » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:53 am

Well, I finally did it!

Even with a total of seven fans in the case with that smelting furnace called a Prescott, I reached 91 degrees C! I was running CA EZ Antivirus scan and noticed that the temps were hovering in the low 80s. I waited to see how high they would reach and near the end of the scan broke through 90 and hit 91 degrees! Wheeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa! Now that winter is coming I plan to heat my entire house with my CPU!

And that is measuring the temps as accurately as reasonable with SpeedFan, not the BIOS that reads 20 hotter. By the BIOS I would likely have hit over 110!

Now that the scan is over it's back down to idling around a nice frigid 50. I wonder what would happen if I OC'd this thing. Maybe I might meltdown the entire neighbourhood! Intel... gotta love 'em! I wonder if it's true that they hire all the chip engineers that AMD let go!

(I'm counting the days until the AMD M2 Windsor comes out and I'm pitching this soldering iron and getting back to the REAL chip brand!)
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Southwind25 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:12 am

LMAO :!: Not becuase your cpu's cookin', but the wording is great :lol:
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:58 am

wouldn't it shut down by now ?

are you sure your sensors are correct
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby kychram » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:15 am

What can I say? This Prescooker brings out the poet in me! :D

I've gone through the mill with the temp settings for months now. I've given up on the BIOS reading and settled on Speedfan after trying every other utility out there. It's as accurate as I can get it without a temp probe. I'm also surprised that it didn't shut down, but I don't know if it throttled down. There are two hi-temp partial throttling settings in the CMOS and it seems to have defaulted to the older version while the 560J can do the newer one. I didn't change it, since I think I'd like to see the silicon drip down the mobo so that I can be rid of this piece of %&$£ once and for all! :(

"If you wanna compute, buy an AMD, if you wanna grill steaks, buy an Intel!"
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:39 am

Grab a TT Big typhoon, i saw my loaded temps drop from 80 to 56 :D. Granted, that is with a cooler that extends past the rear case fans height wise.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby kychram » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi, Tulatin!

Not that I want to disagree with your suggestions as you've always been spot-on with me, but I'm leaning towards the Titan Vanessa L-type. It's even bigger than the TT Big Typhoon (which is not a problem for my mobo as it's set up virtually in the open and it's horizontal so the fatso weight doesn't matter), it seems to have better cooling capacity, has regulatable fan (which the TT BT doesn't) and costs half as much! I just saw someone blow them out for $25! I don't wanna put too much more money into this system as it's just a stopgap for me until AMD puts me squarely into "Windsor Castle!" I guess I could transfer the new cooler to the new AMD but I want to jump into the Windsor as soon as they come out and I'm not sure that M2 adaptor mounting kits will be available that fast!

Newsflash:

The higher percentage of Intel users in the US Gulf Coast are responsible for raising area temperatures and making hurricanes worse!

"Stop global warming! Trade in your Intel for AMD!"
Last edited by kychram on Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby don'tknowmuch » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:43 pm

My 3.2 Pressy's highest temp while folding and playing Far Cry was 62C, with my 6800 ultra, not even a hic-up :wink: :D
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby kychram » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:54 pm

I've had these temp probs with my 3.6 since day one. I'm doing nothing now but playing an mp3 on Windows Media Player and typing this and I'm running 54 C! And it's a cool morning! I don't know if I have a particularly hot Preskillet, or this Spire CoolWave is a HeatWave, or what! But at least I've found a good use for my computer! :D

kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Black Wolf » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:05 am

Tulatin wrote:Grab a TT Big typhoon, i saw my loaded temps drop from 80 to 56 :D. Granted, that is with a cooler that extends past the rear case fans height wise.

Yeah and he could safe on gas and attach some wingsd to his case and fly anywere he wants to go :lol:
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kychram » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:20 am

I still maintain the best solution is IF AMD's Windsor series has similar temperature characteristics to their current X2s, just junk the Prescooker and go back to AMD. I should never have left! Stupid me!!!!!
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks