New front fan theory?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New front fan theory?

Postby asassin' » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:00 am

I've recently acquired a couple of cases with hard drive bays to the bottom and mounting positions for a fan or two in front of them but with little to no venting to external air. Their main purpose seems to be to circulate internal air over the drives. More space is provided between drives, so this may be adequate. I doubt it is optimum, however, and am considering some additional venting to the lower front of the case. Any thoughts.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Sabrewings » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:37 am

I've seen a few cases like that. Not all too uncommon. If there is a front bezzel, then I bet it pulls in air from behind that bezzle.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tulatin » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Or throught a tiny slit on the underside of the bezel. Opening it up a bit will help with internal airflow, as will cutting out those stupid stamped grilles
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby asassin' » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:50 am

On one you'd lose. It even uses the denser hard drive spacing so you can build a brick wall dead in front of the fan. Perhaps it's the exception to prove the rule. If so, would it be best to blow air toward the front?
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby don'tknowmuch » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:01 pm

If so, would it be best to blow air toward the front?

No! In through the front bottom, out through the back or top.
don'tknowmuch
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby asassin' » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:42 am

Yeah, I know, but with this all but hermetically sealed front, a foreward exhausting fan would pull air from the vents low on both sides, across the lower hard drives and back into the case below the floppy. Though it does little or nothing more than move air around the hard drives, it does comply with the theory of in as near the low/front out the high/rear as near as possible.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks