Crazy thought: Car Oil Cooler on CPU?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Crazy thought: Car Oil Cooler on CPU?

Postby kychram » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:35 am

It would seem to me that applying a standard automotive or motorcycle oil cooler radiator system would eliminate the potential problems with algae buildup in the watercoolant, and if it leaked, at least it would be oil that the mobo should be able to survive with no probs, much better than dripping water on live electronics! You can get dozens of these oilcoolers for a few bucks at any salvage yard. Anyone know of a modder who has tried this? (I saw the guy who put his whole system in a vat of oil but that's not what I have in mind!) :D
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Crazy thought: Car Oil Cooler on CPU?

Postby Ryn » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:08 am

kychram wrote:It would seem to me that applying a standard automotive or motorcycle oil cooler radiator system would eliminate the potential problems with algae buildup in the watercoolant, and if it leaked, at least it would be oil that the mobo should be able to survive with no probs, much better than dripping water on live electronics! You can get dozens of these oilcoolers for a few bucks at any salvage yard. Anyone know of a modder who has tried this? (I saw the guy who put his whole system in a vat of oil but that's not what I have in mind!) :D

i'm using a regular coolant from our local automotive shops and been doing this for the past two years with no problems.
Ryn
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby kychram » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:37 am

Yes, there are plenty of people who use water cooling with no problems but would oil allow for a greater or lower cooling coefficient?
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tulatin » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:42 am

Only issue is that oil likely has a lower heat capacity than water, thus reducing effectiveness of the system.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby MrCraigCraig » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:57 am

kychram wrote:It would seem to me that applying a standard automotive or motorcycle oil cooler radiator system would eliminate the potential problems with algae buildup in the watercoolant, and if it leaked, at least it would be oil that the mobo should be able to survive with no probs, much better than dripping water on live electronics! You can get dozens of these oilcoolers for a few bucks at any salvage yard. Anyone know of a modder who has tried this? (I saw the guy who put his whole system in a vat of oil but that's not what I have in mind!) :D

Regardless of how it would actually perform, I like that you're "thinking outside of the box". :-)
I tried using a "Point of View Gun", but my aim was lousy. ;-)

ASUS K8N, AMD Sempron 3100+(1.8ghz), 1gb RAM, eVGA 5500FX 256mb AGP, two WD120gb SATA drives in RAID 0 (striping), 450w power supply.

Fold well, so that others may prosper.
MrCraigCraig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Copper » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:17 am

you dont get algea build up in a water cooling system as coolent is added to the water to stop algea in ints tracks

an oil cooler in a car is use to keep the oil thicker , which keep the lubrication better and is not used to cool the engine. the hoter the oil get the less efficient it becomes at cooling and lubricating. that why engines are water cooled or air cooled and not oil cooled. also the life of the oil would be a lot less than water, also the properties of oil change with heat
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kychram » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I usually think so far outside the box, I can't even see it! :D

So I guess that the consensus is that oil is not gonna work as a good coolant medium, huh? Too bad. Could have had some advantages. Back to the drawing board!
kychram
Initiate
Initiate

Postby scottla » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:28 pm

Technically, PC water cooling kits are "air" cooled in the sense the the water temp is regulated by sending it to a radiator with air moving over it. Many old motorcycles and the porsches up to the 993 were all considered "air cooled", meaning the engine oil was the primary heat carrier to a radiator that required large volumes of airflow to work. That's why many old motorcycles and porsches will overheat if left for long stretches in slow, stop and go traffic.

That said (minor Cliff Clavin-esque detour there), copper's point is well-taken. The thermal properties of oil are not as good as water. In other words, it will carry less heat per unit volume, etc.

Further, an engine's heat issues are more total than local, meaning the engine block -- a gigantic hunk of metal, heats as the engine performs. The oil really never comes in contact with anything white hot right next to something at an ambient temp.

In the pc, however, its just the little nasty chips that get white hot. My guess is, just like in a hot skillet on a stove, oil would burn upon contact with the heat and ultimately be consumed. Water, if it gets to the boiling point, will just become vapor and recondense quickly as it cools. As such, no loss -- assuming a completely closed loop.
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby The Pizza Boy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:38 pm

Im sure yall seen this but i figured id post it again....

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000287041976/
The Pizza Boy
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby scottla » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:28 pm

Had NOT seen that. Very cool. So much for my oil cooker theory.

:mb_footinmouth::
scottla
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks