Is this true?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is this true?

Postby mole2704 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:17 am

If your system uses more than one kind of metal in its construction, (and it almost certainly will) then they will form a crude battery. This can cause the more reactive of the two metals to corrode. You can avoid this by adding antifreeze to the water.

Antifreeze will actually increase your systems performance, because the alcohol it contains is even better than water at heat transfer. 75% water and 25% antifreeze will prevent corrosion, increase performance slightly, and make the water go a nice colour

If so, wouldn't 100% alcohol be a better idea?

I'm trying to learn about water cooling so that i have a good start for my new system. Any good articles to read through first?
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby DAVE1 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:34 am

3: Antifreeze is the best thing for computer water cooled systems - This is very untrue. Computer parts usually run in temps from room temperature, to about 70C degrees. Automobiles on the otherhand, have running temps from way below freezing to way past boiling. Hence the name Anti-FREEZE What antifreeze does for a car is it keeps the coolant from freezing and boiling too early. Seeing how a computer doesn't operate anywhere near these temps, there is no need for antifreeze. Another negative side effect of antifreeze is that it is corrosive, which can shorten the life of your water pumps, and in worst cases cause leakage of your cooling system.
What is appropriate for computers is a treatment to kill off any aquatic life that thrives in the water temps of a computer. Although there are many products out there which claim to enhance the performance, or color the water for cool looks, additives are best used only to kill off aquatic life.

got that out of one of the stickys on water cooling
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby mole2704 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:36 am

it was more the statement of conduction that i was reffering to. i did read the sticky's first but they seem not to mention this
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Twisty » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:46 pm

Ethanol will attack many but not all of the plastics used for tubing in water cooling systems. It is also flammable so creates a fire risk. It is also slightly volatile and has a lower boiling point than water. It also has a lower specific heat capacity than water.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby mole2704 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:16 pm

so the idea of using alcohol in the system is stupid then??

I have seen many 'kits' avaliable and they range bettween them of what they contain and what the price is. Most seem to be in the range of $80-$250 (USD) but i only want to really spend around $175 (USD). What should these kits contain as basic? Am I being too stingy with my pricing?

At some point i, like many, am wanting to upgrade to a 64 bit cpu. can i just swop over the cooler's parts to make it work or will i have to get an entirely new system?
mole2704
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tulatin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:18 am

*cracks knucles* here's a primer on galvanic corrosion kids:

essentially, in most systems where metals will be mixed, electons will transfer from one material to the other. Normally to overcome this, a sacrificial anode (a metal guarenteed to corode) will be put in the system. Sadly, aluminium is the strongest of all of thses. So yes, copper + aluminum = corroded mess. But how do we avoid this? We need to add a corrosion inhibitor, such as Swiftech Hydrex, Zerex, Water Wetter etc. Pure alcohol would shred tubes and shatter block tops, so would ethanol. Plus there are plenty of kits out there that are good to go for about $175. Just custom build yourself one.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby asassin' » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:17 pm

Didn't know anyone still used that stuff as anti-freeze. Ethylene glycol is a better alternative as far as reactivity. But at normal temps water has better cooling properties.
asassin'
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby nascarfool.com » Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:47 am

DAVE185 wrote:
3: Antifreeze is the best thing for computer water cooled systems - This is very untrue. Computer parts usually run in temps from room temperature, to about 70C degrees. Automobiles on the otherhand, have running temps from way below freezing to way past boiling. Hence the name Anti-FREEZE What antifreeze does for a car is it keeps the coolant from freezing and boiling too early. Seeing how a computer doesn't operate anywhere near these temps, there is no need for antifreeze. Another negative side effect of antifreeze is that it is corrosive, which can shorten the life of your water pumps, and in worst cases cause leakage of your cooling system.
What is appropriate for computers is a treatment to kill off any aquatic life that thrives in the water temps of a computer. Although there are many products out there which claim to enhance the performance, or color the water for cool looks, additives are best used only to kill off aquatic life.

got that out of one of the stickys on water cooling

Bad newsfor me, I've been using anti-freeze in my system for over three years now. 85% distilled water with 15% Prestone Anti-freeze. I have had absolutely no leaks, no corrosion, no pump failure and no radiator failure for just over three years. I'm sorry but that info is just not true. :wink:

*Edit* Automotive antifreeze contains approximately 95% Ethylene glycol.
My Trading References
Like Nascar ? Come visit and talk about your favorite driver.
nascarfool.com
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Twisty » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:05 pm

Car antifreeze includes corrosion inhibitors.
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:02 pm

while the old mix of antifreze + distilled water has worked over time, i prefer additives designed for watercooling. MCT-5 and 40 as well as HydrX work you know
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks