High Temperatures on Machine

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

High Temperatures on Machine

Postby Scotty23 » Sat May 25, 2002 12:46 pm

My basic problem is that my CPU temperature is getting too hot. I know that 55 C is about the limit of all XP chips before problems start occuring.
With the case on, I usually run about 50 C. With the case off and the air conditioner vent blowing in there it runs about 42-44 C. I really didn't purchase a brand new computer to run it with the case off though.

What I want to know is, how in the world do I get the most out of my system without the case side off?

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (not overclocked running at 1600MHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (I bought it because you all gave it a great review)
Video Card: Leadtek GeForce 2 GTS
Power Supply: AMD approved 300W

Here's my Case: Image

As you can see inside, that grey thing near the back is an exhaust port that sits right above the processor and is supposed to blow air out the back, I personally think it kinda sucks as when it's outside the case it exhausts really well, but inside when I put my hand near the holes in the back I can barely feel anything.

The second thing you notice is that there is a fan that is facing the exhaust port and the CPU/CPU Heatsink-Fan. I really honestly don't know why it's located right there, but it doesn't seem to do anything either.

I bought a great CPU fan: DragonOrb 3 7000 RPM fan by ThermalTake

Should I purchase some more case fans to blow the air around in there or would that actually do any good? I also purchased Arctic Silver III thermal grease for the CPU as well which I will apply next week when it arrives but I'm not sure how much that will help over the thermal compound I got with the fan.

If I need to purchase more fans I will but I need some direction on what kind to purchase and where I should put them? I just want to be able to put my side back on my case!! Thanks so much for the help.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Sat May 25, 2002 1:15 pm

Yes you should definitely add case fans, where is up to you. It's kind of hard to see why they put that fan there. Possible add a side case fan and punch holes in the siding, this is what I'm thinking of doing as I too notice a big diff with case on and case off, so the outside air would blow directly on the cpu and ram. What is your case temps? I believe a big CPU fan like that would not want anything very near to it to limit its efficiency. Also upgrading your cpu fan could produce 5*C difference, many swear by the volcano7+ but I'd also look in to Arkua. The exhaust fan you have there, if it is like mine, would be more efficient if you turned the fan around to make intake and then punch hole in top to exhaust. Let us see what other people say.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Sat May 25, 2002 10:33 pm

arkua rocks, my CPU temp is always between 10c and 12c above the case temp. as for fans make sure you have a good balance of air coming in and going out. moving hot air around in side the case will not do much of anything for CPU temps. you should have at least one fan in the bottom front part of the case bringing cool air in [39cfm and up is preferable] and then one at the upper back exhausting the same amount of air as you bring in. that's usually the basic setup of a case. as Peter said having an exhaust fan above your CPU cooler can be counter productive as it pulls air away from the CPU fan preventing it from being fully effective. so reversing it may help but this all depends on the CPU fan. if its sucking air through the heatsink then leave that fan alone, however if its like most CPU fans then it is probably blowing are through the heatsink. in which case reversing the fan or removing it entirely is best. if your thinking of remodeling your case to add even more fans, you may want to think twice. from the look of your case with its aluminum sides and cool window I would say you like having a nice looking case with pretty round cables and nice looking motherboard [like the gigabyte] adding fans to the window will obstruct the view of these and if done in a sloppy manner will decrease the overall appeal of having such a nice looking case. the simplest and perhaps best thing to do is to remove the two inner fans and replace them with 2 high output fans {50cfm or more} one exhaust fan mounted at the upper back and one intake at the lower front this will insure 50 or more cubic feet of air being circulated every minute through the case which should keep your case temps down and really help knock those CPU temps down a bit. also if your not using round cables you should consider purchasing some as they transfer data faster than the stock flat ones that come with most motherboards and they do not obstruct air flow like the flat ones.

hey peter didn't you mention something about how loud your volcano 7 was? you migh try this here coolerguysits the same place scotty got his case. Image
Last edited by datektrader21 on Sun May 26, 2002 1:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Sat May 25, 2002 10:43 pm

My answer/suggestion to you is... read my second reply I made on this topic "Best overall cooling system?" by andrey.

:lol:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby datektrader21 » Sat May 25, 2002 11:02 pm

your right water cooling is a good option.
Image Image
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Scotty23 » Sun May 26, 2002 11:51 am

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, you guys are definitly a great help.

I do have IDE round cables and have determined that what I will do is put a good fan from 3dcool.com at the bottom/front of my case.

I've also thought about getting one of these.

Bay Freezer

What would be better? One of these bay freezers that go into the extra 5 1/4" slot on the front exhausting air out the front? Or putting an exhaust fan near the power supply?

I've currently taken out my exhaust fan that you see in my picture above as I believe that was counter productive and just have my fan near the processor moving air around, I believe that has helped a little bit.

But even as I speak, I've been on the computer after not using it last night and the CPU temp has climed from when I turned it on at 30 degrees C to right now at 50 degrees C. So it's definitly climbing up there. It's been on about 10-15 min. (Case side is on)

One of the best things I can think of is something that would transfer air from my air conditioner vent into my machine via some tubes or something. One of my friends has heard of these that somehow gets some of the air from the air conditioner and directs it into your case without having your side panel off etc... (now the temperature is at 51 degrees by the way)

datek

Peter didn't you mention something about how loud your volcano 7 was? you migh try this here coolerguys its the same place scotty got his case.

How in the world would you install those? I mean do you put those things on your case? Prett intersting stuff to say the least. (by the way case temperature just climbed to 52)

Well, anyway again, I greatly appreciate the support. And just to show you my setup I might take a few pictures with my digital camera and post them up here. Later and TIA.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Sun May 26, 2002 1:30 pm

No problem Scotty. As for which of the two would be better, I'd say those neat-o bay freezers would do a good job for intake and that one fan in the back for exhaust. However you should get more fans.The more fans the happier the computer, as long as the intake/exhaust is near equal.
The sound dampeners are installed inside the case, but they kind of eliminate the purpose of having an aluminum case since aluminum keeps it normally 3-5*C cooler. And datektrader, I now have a Volcano 6CU which is quite quieter :wink: :wink: , and I was speaking of the Volcano 7+ which can be controlled manually so you can choose how loud it will get.
Last edited by Aibohphobia on Tue May 28, 2002 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 28, 2002 2:33 pm

Couple of things that I will tell you. First is that the Dragon Orb is not as good as the Volcano 7+. Not by a long shot. Second is that SkyHawk case has some of the funkiest fan setups I've seen. There does not appear to be any front fan vents to allow cool air to come into the system from below. The exhasut fan that you apparently removed, looks to be in the wrong position as well. Unless there are holes in the lower front of the case that I'm not seeing, putting a fan in the normal lower front position will be useless.

The bay coolers may be an option, but I have not used them, so I don't know their abilities.
If you could get some of those pics up here showing all of the case (inside and out) I'd be able to tell you what would work best. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:03 am

Again, really appreciate the help guys.

Ya once I got the skyhawk case I was like WTF?! There's no air holes on the front of the computer. Even my old cheap-ass Steel ATX case had them. Go figure.

I'll post some pics up this evening after work when I get home.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks