good temp for cpu

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

good temp for cpu

Postby futureciv » Sat May 25, 2002 10:25 am

what temp do you want to shoot for on a cpu?
I am getting lockups on my games.

athlon 1900, Tt volcano7 variable speed
one case fan

do i need more?
futureciv
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 25, 2002 10:42 am

With the XP CPU's anything over 55*C is cause for concern in my opinion. Are you overclocking the system at all? If so, what do you have the Vcore set at? Having only one case fan is not going to get the job done. Ideally, you should have one fan at the lower front of the case blowing cool air into the system, and a fan at the upper back of the case blowing hot air out of the system. I do not include the power supply fan in this set up as it has enough to do with removing the hot air from the power supply.
Is there a fan on your chipset and video card? If you have a high powered system, then the chipset will put out a good amount of heat as well and again, IMHO, it needs a fan. Same with the video card. Most the higher end cards come with fans on them, but if yours doesn't then you may want to consider it.
You also have to make sure that the ambient tempurature is not high either. Having case fans will do you no good if the air that they are blowing into the case is not cool. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby futureciv » Mon May 27, 2002 6:09 pm

case temp is 35 while cpu is 54-55 while on the internet, so i imagine it is hotter while running games. on the mobo utility showing temp and fan info, everything is showing ok except the system fan is showing "ok" with a red "x" through it. the rpm of the system fan is 1600 rpm whie cpu is 3245 rpm. what do you suggest? what kind of air flow do you recommend? also, I plan on moving to a city where the temp is considerably higher by 20F or more. the case i have allows a fan to be placed on top as well as the back and front.
futureciv
Initiate
Initiate

Postby andrey » Mon May 27, 2002 6:55 pm

more fans. definitly. especially that you have the expandabilty available for more fans.

and since the volcano is variable speed, max it out...

I'm concerned that your getting 55 idling.... your likely getting 60+ gaming it.
________
Sea-Doo GTX
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 28, 2002 2:04 am

You need to have at least two case fans (not including the power supply fan) in that unit. One on the lower front blowing cool air in, and one on the upper back blowing hot air out. If you have the ability to add one on the top, then do so as an exhaust. It will help. With the original Volcano 7, the temp sensor is not in the best place to realize the heat from the CPU but rather it reads the case temp. There are a couple of mods that will work if you want to try them. The first one requires that you move the temp sensor INTO the heatsink itself thereby getting a better reading from the heatsink and then the fan will spin faster allowing for more cooling. The other mod, is to remove the sensor entirely and solder the ends of the wires where the sensor was together. This will cause the fan to spin at 5000 RPM at all times and will definitely help with the cooling, but it is a tad noisy. Either of those methods should work for you. Also, be sure to use some Arctic Silver III thermal paste as it will bring the temps down as well.
Your only other recourse is a new heatsink/fan such as the far superior Thermaltake Volcano 7+ with it's fully adjustable fan speeds and full copper body. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby futureciv » Tue May 28, 2002 3:03 am

Thanks guys. I'll let you know what happens when i get it all together. In the meantime, the table fan seems to be a good substitue. :lol:
futureciv
Initiate
Initiate

Postby futureciv » Fri May 31, 2002 11:18 pm

well, i put a fan on the top, back, and front and the cpu fan is running full tilt now that the wires are soldered. here's some numbers:

IDLE:
cpu 52
system 32

after 10min on the net playing counterstrike
cpu 57
system 34

idle with case sides off:
cpu 49
system 32

8)
futureciv
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:28 pm

Are you using any Arctic Silver thermal paste?
Thse temps are still way too high.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby futureciv » Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:27 pm

I bought the motherboard preassembled with the cpu and fan. I don't know if they used thermal paste.
futureciv
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ChicoMarx » Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:53 am

I read in a post a while back that the sensor fan on the V7 is problematic with case fans. It may happen that with a cool inside case temp, the sensor on the V7 never kicks the fan to maximum. Some review of the V7 also stated that the author never got it to kick in because his case was cool thereby causing the cpu to run hot.

Suggestion: Replace the auto fan with a regular one and control it via a Thermaltake switch. I have the 7+ which has a 3-speed, switch-controlled fan. When the cpu temp goes up a bit, I kick it into second (or third) gear with 6K RPMs max. I have a Thermaltake sensor fan in a blowhole at the top of the case which usually runs nice and easy except when it automatically shifts into high when necessary. Case temps run about 26 C. CPU @ 41 C idle and 47 C load.

I hope Tolemac gets back to me on my AS3 vs. silicone post because I'm not getting the best temps with the AS3.
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks