Cool me I get to post the first topic

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Cool me I get to post the first topic

Postby franksinatra » Thu May 09, 2002 3:13 pm

:twisted: So in my previous post, The Idiot's Saga, I was asking about a couple of things.

I imagine I need to take apart the whole system to apply some thermal paste to my heatsink, any tips on how to clean it off and apply for dummies (meaning I'm not using 10 different grades of sandpaper ;))

New question specific to my GA-7VRXP- Is the little metal tab in the center of the socket my heat sensor and if it is touching the CPU that would explain why I am getting 57C at idle?

Thanks for the help.
franksinatra
Initiate
Initiate

Thermal paste

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu May 09, 2002 7:01 pm

You can clean the thermal paste off with a kleenex. That'll work ok. Or a rag. Just nothing that holds a static charge.

I am not sure with reguards to your specific posts about the board.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tolemac » Thu May 09, 2002 10:37 pm

Check out Arctic Silver's Instruction page for all of the how to's. It's dead easy! 8)

The sensor may indeed explain it, but it's supposed to be touching the CPU for best results. What monitor are you using to check your temps :?:
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby franksinatra » Mon May 20, 2002 12:29 pm

Thanks. I had stupidly bought Comp USA thermal paste, which looks identical to the paste Arctic Silver is warning people against (well at least warning them that it is not AS). Rather than being a cheesehead, I bought the AS3 and I am waiting for it to come in.

I'm using the Gigabyte system information viewer (SIV) utility that came with my board.
franksinatra
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks