Volcano 7+ & ABIT AT7 question

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Volcano 7+ & ABIT AT7 question

Postby chrwilliams » Wed May 22, 2002 6:31 pm

I've been waiting for my Volcano 7+ to arrive so I could build my PC.

ABIT AT7
OEM AMD XP 2000
512 MB Corsair 2700
etc.

Anyway, the ABIT instructions caution against using a processor heatsink with a one hook clip. What do I get? A V 7+ with a one hook clip! Worse, I see that TT sells a three hook clip, but I have no idea of how to get one.

Should I worry or care? I'm too new to all this to make a confident guess and I don't want my socket to crack under the weight of this titanic 7+

TIA,

Chrwilliams
chrwilliams
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 12:21 am

I have seen problems before with two clip hsf one clip seems to be for monitoring the fans rpm while the other for power. you can hit a jam as sometimes the BIOS will not see this rpm sensor and if equipped with an FOC [fan off control] it will not allow you to boot up the computer until you either disable the FOC in the BIOS or plug a three pinned fan into the CPU fan header. sometimes you can get around this by plugging the single wire clip into the CPU fan header and then the 2 wire clip into an alternate fan header. the other way of course is to plug a 3 pinned fan [usually a system fan] into the CPU header this will trick the BIOS into thinking you have a normal HSF plugged in and it will allow you to boot up. you can then go into the BIOS and disable the FOC. just make sure you have your CPU fan powered by another header on the board or use an adapter to plug directly into one of the power supply headers.

woops mistook your post to mean something about the heatsink power system. :oops: :oops: you could get the other clip or just get a shim and you should be alright, thermaltake makes both of course.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 24, 2002 9:56 am

Welcome to the Mother Board!

Go ahead and put the heatsink on. The clip that they use is quite excellent, and you will have no problems with it. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby chrwilliams » Fri May 24, 2002 11:19 am

Thanks for the help everyone. I realized that my balking at putting everything together had more to do with anxiety over making a mistake than with the actual demerits of the clip. I just sucked it up and installed the whole thing last night. I booted-up with a copy of XP pro last night and woke-up this morning with XP 2/3 installed!

Even at medium speed, the Volcano 7+ has one noisy fan! Admittedly, my prior machine was quieter only because it was a dinosaur (Celeron 400 mhz).

I've been dying to get home so I can start tweaking my machine. I do have one problem: my floppy drive doesn't work and its light remains lit. I'm pretty sure I can figure this one out quickly though.

Thanks again,

ChrWilliams
chrwilliams
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby datektrader21 » Fri May 24, 2002 12:30 pm

your flopy cable is upside down try reversing it :) line up pin one on the flopy drive to the red line on the cable
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby chrwilliams » Fri May 24, 2002 6:42 pm

Thanks for your help. I double-checked my Alps floppy and discovered that it has a cut-out on both sides of the male connector. I was so focused on the one I could see (at the top) that I never noticed that there was one at the bottom!

It all works now.

ChrWilliams
chrwilliams
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby bennettsweb » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:00 pm

I like the AT7 and other Abit boards because they fit the Swiftech coolers and alphas so well.
bennettsweb
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks