How Long For AS5 Setting

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

quingoff
Black Belt
Black Belt

How Long For AS5 Setting

Post by quingoff »

Just got an enermax temp probe, and since thats requires removing the heatsink to place it I had to apply a new coat of AS5, so i put a light film of it on my cpu (my heatsink is lapped and according to the AS5 instructions, it said lapped heatsinks only need a film...anyway...) I red somewhere don't remember where but that when a new coat of AS5 is applyed several thermal cycles are needed to let the substance set. Since I couldn't remember I was wondering if anyone in my fellow computer geek community could help me out with this question.

While I'm here I guess I could ask a few more questions about the process I went through in placing the probe, when I removed the HSF I used some q-tips and 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean up the old application, one thing I noticed though when the alcohol evaporated it seemed to discolor the cermanic substrate holdin the cpu, near the cache or buffer whatever devices around the amd athlon xp core, is that normal? Unfortunlently I had to clean the core twice, the enermax device (enermax UC-001TM2) http://img.neoseeker.com/image_deliver.php?lz=SGFyZHdhcmUvQ2FzZXNfYW5kX0Nvb2xpbmcvQWNjZXNzb3JpZXM%3D&f=Enermax_UC001TM2_profilelarge.jpg had two flat probes, as I had taken the HSF off and placed one of the probes with the thermal tape and had replaced the HSF again with the new AS5.

I then removed the paper that prevented contact between the battery and the device itself, bub-kiss,the screen didn't light up, thought maybe its the battery, so i switched it out, nothing. My only option was to use the other available probe, and to to this I had to remove the HSF again, not knowing whether or not I could use the new same layer of AS5 I cleaned the core again and put a new layer on thats when I noticed the discoloration from the darker brown original ceramic color to a lighter brown. The computer is working, now as I am typing this message on the comp I put the probe in.

Ok question about the probes wire, I placed the probe as seen in the Accurate Core Temps article on overclockers.com by John Hill, so that part of the placement is ok, thermal tape held the probe nicely, my question about the wire is should it not touch anything? the probes wire dangles from the 462 zif socket and lightly touches one of the fins on the northbridge heatsink in the upper right hand corner(Asus A7V600) I then have the excess wire in a twist tie but before the wire is held by this tie it hovers over the very top and lightly touches the RAM sticks PCB's, doesn't touch the modules, just the tip top of the stick PCB's from there no other contact. Should I find a way to have zero contact? I think thats it for the questions, just the AS5 setting ques., discoloration ques. and the probe wire ques.

By the way any AMD athlon xp 2700 users in northern cal, where its 102 F outside today, the reading on the probe with no AC on inside and its about 33-34 C 91-93F in my room the device is reading 49.5C :roll: but thats with a brand new non set layer of AS5, I know I always like to here reported cpu temps from others that have the same cpu, so thought I would post my temp as of right now hope that will change as the AS5 goes through some thermal cycles. Thanks for any help :D
Enermax 600 Watt PSU
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
1 GIG DDR400 Corsair Ram
Asus A7V880 (VIA KT880)
BFG 6800 OC GF6
Koolance (CPU,GPU)
Western Digital 60 Gig SATA HD
quingoff
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by quingoff »

Ohh forgot to post about the temp, is that it is...the thermal probe... two degrees warmer than the reading of MBM5
Enermax 600 Watt PSU
AMD Athlon XP 2700+
1 GIG DDR400 Corsair Ram
Asus A7V880 (VIA KT880)
BFG 6800 OC GF6
Koolance (CPU,GPU)
Western Digital 60 Gig SATA HD
tonycarr
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by tonycarr »

Those probes are tedious to install , usually at least a small gap between the cpu & socket .
If you've ever installed AS5 before , you know the temps don't change much after the first hour or so .
I wouldn't worry about the wire touching a heatsink fin .
If I were you I would take the case sides off and blow a large fan across the open case , until the room temps cool off .
E Pluribus Unum