Custom Stereo component mp3 system: Passive cooling?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Custom Stereo component mp3 system: Passive cooling?

Postby Pechorin » Wed May 15, 2002 5:06 pm

I'm designing an mp3/music pc to add to my home stereo system. I'm building a custom case out of steel and some plastic that will include a 40x2 serial lcd and an ir remote. Hopefully it will look like any other stereo component.

Anyway, the system needs to be as quiet as possible. Since audio playback isn't processor intensive, i'm leaning toward a Celeron 600 or so because heat is not as much an issue with the celery as it is the Durons. However, I dont like the idea of a typical jet-engine hs/fan (and yes the volcano 7 would be to loud).

Basically, I want to know if there are any adequate passive cooling heatsinks that would be capable of keeping such a cpu at a decent temp. I know that Zalman came out with a goofy looking hunk of copper they called a "flower" a while back. If anyone has any ideas or knows anything about these coolers, let me know.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
--Nelsen Mandela
Pechorin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tolemac » Fri May 17, 2002 6:43 pm

Take a look at the Thermaltake Volcano II. It's rated at 31.5dBa and that's pretty quiet.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby swiftdb2 » Thu May 23, 2002 9:50 am

Hve you considered a VIA C3 based system? These chips run very cool and require only a passive heatsink to cool. The C3 800 is the coolest running but you can get up to a 933 ($72 at Newegg, still using passive HS). These, of course are not blazing fast CPUs but if it is only for audio playback this might be the ticket. Check this link on Via's websight where they configured a quiet pc. I am sure you could even quiet this one down further.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/viac3/C3_silent.jsp

You can even combine with a flex or mini itx board and get into a very small enclosure.
swiftdb2
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Pechorin » Thu May 23, 2002 12:20 pm

hmmm, now you got me thinking. Well, now I had decided on using a mere slot 1 celeron 300 I had lying around in a micro atx board. Since I already had the parts, I figured this would be cheap. The Via C3 800 is intreaguing. Perhaps I'll use this celery for the prototype and step it up if I decide I want to.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
--Nelsen Mandela
Pechorin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks