The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:16 pm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:46 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

I'm building my first machine, and I've got just about everything except for the case. The case I was looking at has 2 fans on the back, 1 in front, and 1 on the window. Would that be enough to support a P4 3.0, 2 SATA 120 Maxtors, and a 9800 Radeon AIW?

Plus I think I read somewhere in the forums that it would be better to have a 1 to 1 ratio of front to back fans for better airflow. And since the case I was lookin at only has 1 in front, I'm wondering if it should be fine...or if I should find a case with 2 front 2 back.

Thanks in advance. Oh and can you recommend any good intake fans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:09 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

What are the size of the fans for each placement? If they are all the same size you should have no problem, just keep an eye on your case and cpu temps and see what it says, I myslef only have one intake, two output a side fan. I am running a p4 2.8 with a radeon 9000 and I have no problems at all.

I am also using a Zalman flower heatsink on my processor, which relies on good airfolw thrhough my system. And I am fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:16 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

They're all 80mm. thanx, Black Wolf, do you recommend any intake fans?

oh, since i'm a nubie, I was wondering if the LED fans have a switch u can turn on and off the light with, or is it constantly on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:35 pm 
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Anything that Zalman makes i find to be very reliable.

As for the switch, some do and some don't, just depends on the product. I use a blue 80mm in my side window, looks great, there is no off switch but i would not want to turn it off.

Usually the lights and the fan run through the same circut, so if you turned off the light the fan would turn off to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:10 pm 
Green Belt
Green Belt

OCSystem has Thermaltake 80mm smart fan 2's on sale for $7.95 each, they go from 20-75cfm with 3 different speed modes. Great fan for the money. I've got some on the way, I'm putting five of them in my case (2 front, 2 rear, 1 side)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:00 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Essentially air in=air out. Other times, like anoter fan DEAD over the graphics card can bend the rule because they keep it so cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:52 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

cool, thanks, i'll look into the thermaltake fans, since i could use one more.

wish me luck on my new system, all the parts should come by the weekend...woo hoo!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:58 am 
Green Belt
Green Belt

I'm going to replace the stock fan on my radiator with at least one of these smart fan2s, to see if doubling the cfm will help cool better (I may even rig one on the pullside too). The stock radiator fan is a Tt and is better than a regular case fan, but one of the fins broke off and now it vibrates like a banshee so I switched it with one of my antec case fans--the bracket attachment helps to dampen the vibrations alot until my new fans arrive. Currently I average 45c or so idle and no more than 51c under load like 3dmark2k1, but I'd like to get the temps even lower if I can.
I see than you replaced your stock Tt block with another kind. I have a DangerDen maze1 on my NB--do you think putting that one on the CPU would give me better temps over the stock waterblock?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:32 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Maybe. I have a swiftech mcw5000p on mine - the amount of water tit needs to start raises temps in the beginning, but after that, they went down about 5-7c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:00 pm 
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

The Tt's are great if u can bear the noise as they are loud. I got 2 intakes and 2 exhaust all controlled with a Noise Isolator Fan Controller. I have the fans running around 50% and my CPU temp max's out at 44 C.

Davvo