XP2100+ still too hot with Alpha PAL8045, 84 cfm fan and AS3

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XP2100+ still too hot with Alpha PAL8045, 84 cfm fan and AS3

Postby gaviota » Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:25 pm

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message asking if my Athlon XP 2100+ with stock AMD heatsink and fan was running too hot with temperatures in the 60 - 70C range. I was told it was way too hot, so I immediately bought an Alpha PAL 8045, an 84.1 cfm Vantec Tornado fan and Acrtic Silver III.

Additionally, the case has 4 fans (two blowing air in, and two sucking it out), and I also installed round IDE cables to improve air circulation inside the case. Room temperature is in the 25 - 30C range.

I had no problems installing everything following the instructions provided. The fans are very loud, but the temperatures only dropped about 10C, to the 50 - 60C range, which is I think is still too hot.

I see posts with people reporting temperatures in the 40 - 50C range, so I was expecting better results. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Porphyria » Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:04 pm

Thats puzzling. :? Maybe you put too much AS3 on the heatsink? Tolemac says to use a paper thin layer. If you used more than this, a reapplication may solve your heat problems. Is that fan unbearably loud BTW? I am considering getting it and a Thermaltake controller so I can turn it down to lower RPMs if I need to.
Kids in a fast lane living for today
No rules to abide by and no one to obey
ID This Quote
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fishtank1 » Mon Jul 08, 2002 7:24 pm

some guys talk about a burn in period of 36 hrs for it to drop to its full potential ...I'm not so sure mine never did that...as for the paper thin coating... what we use in the electrical field between buss is more than you whould use on your cpu...BUT you want enough to coat the top of the cpu and sink when they are put together and at the same time there should be a SLIGHT LITTLE AMOUNT THAT SQUEZES OUT EVENLY ON ALL SIDES OF THE DIE wich you can not see rubbing alcohal removes ac3 with a little effort... so what I did is put it on and take it off and seen how much more or less to put on. when I was satisfide I put it on and left it Just make sure you do not have ANY on the briges it is conductive and can short out you cpu...Good luck...Maybe Tolmac will read this and give a better discription...I know what I mean to say but when you write things out they never look the same....

SHOCKING ISNT IT!!! 8)
fishtank1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby gaviota » Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:55 am

Is that fan unbearably loud BTW?
- I think the Tornado name is very appropiate...it sounds like a real tornado, in my opinion way too loud.

An update...last night I disassembled my PC again to double check everything and I read (for the 10th time probably!) the instructions of Alpha and AS3. I didn't find anything unusual, so i only tightened the screws of the heatsink to make sure that it was making proper contact with the CPU. I didn't notice any change in the temperature when I turned on my PC again.

However, the heatsink instructions state that sometimes its necesary to install aditional washers in the springs to improve contact. Tonight I will disassemble it again to install an extra washer in each of the springs...maybe this will solve the problem.
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Porphyria » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:24 am

Wait a minute... What are you using to measure the temperatures. Use a More Spam Vomit to get the case temp to make sure you have adequate ventilation through the case. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is that maybe the heatsink has poor contact with the CPU or whatever your using to monitor your temps is off.
Kids in a fast lane living for today
No rules to abide by and no one to obey
ID This Quote
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby charibdis » Tue Jul 09, 2002 12:41 pm

If it's 25-30C in the place expect your PC to be in the high temps. Last week my underclocked cpu was hitting the 50's. My roomy's AMD TBird 1.33GHz hit 63C. mine is set to shutdown if it hits 60C which is low.
ABIT NF7-S | Athlon 2500XP @ 12x200 | Corsair HydroCool200 | 3DMark2K1 V330 = 15722 ~ 3DMark03 V340 = 4988
-----------
2nd pc: Dual PII 350 running Fedora Core 2
-----------
3rd pc: Dual Intel PPro 200MHz (Linux) ->decomissioned due to heat problems
charibdis
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks