74* CPU temp with Athlon Thunderbird in mid-tower ATX case.

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

74* CPU temp with Athlon Thunderbird in mid-tower ATX case.

Postby steelserotta » Tue May 14, 2002 12:16 pm

My Athlon 1.3GHz CPU idles at about 74 degrees C, which is well under the 95C upper-limit spec Ive seen listed. But its also well above the temps I regularly see listed in this forum.

I dont do any gaming on the PC. Just regular stuff (MS Office, email, web-authoring etc). Some CD writing. Nothing too taxing. So the temp stays pretty steady.

Ive got a mid-tower case, and an Antec Jet Cool heatsink/fan. One problem may be that the Antec is sitting only about an inch from the side of the power supply, and blows right into it. Is that a significant concern??

When installing the heat sink I used the thermal tape that was already on it. I did not scrape it off to apply something better.

Ive got one fan in front (blowing IN) and one in back blowing out (not including the PS fan). I dont know the case temp, but the air coming out the back seems pretty cool, as does the case itself.

So my questions are: how concerned should I be with the CPU temp Im getting? What can I do to lower the temp, and what benefits would that bring?

Thanks!!!!
steelserotta
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Tue May 14, 2002 9:18 pm

Those temps do indeed need to come down. The Antec Jet Cool is a joke of a heatsink. Considering their good name is at stake, you'd think they'd have done better with this, but it's really not a good heatsink at all.

Getting a decent heatsink is your first step. Second step is to always remove the thermal pad on the bottom of the sink as they are worthless. Thermal paste is the only way to go, and Arctic Silver III is the best you can get!

Lowering your CPU temps will help in the following ways ways. First off, it will prolong the life of the CPU. It will also give you better performance, as the system will run better when it's cooled properly.
You are aiming to get the temps below 50*C if at all possible.

Make sure you download the Motherboard Monitor 5 as it gives very accurate sensor readings, and I trust it above most other programs.

My personal recommendation for a heatsink is the Thermaltake Volcano 7+. It is one of the finest heatsinks available. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby steelserotta » Wed May 15, 2002 4:06 am

Thanks Tolemac. Looks like Ive got some work to do.

Im going to return my Antec Jet Cool to CompUsa today and get a real heatsink and Arctic Silver paste. Any advice on how to properly clean the thermal tape residue off my CPU casing?

Yesterday I installed another front fan that sits in one of the hard drive bays, and the CPU temp is now about 68*. Still way over 50(!), but better.

I also downloaded the Motherboard Monitor 5 program as you suggested. CPU temp jives pretty well with the program I was using (Winbond), but I cant get case temps - only CPU. Ill have to check if my MoBo (Biostar M7VIB) has sensors for case and mobo.
steelserotta
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 18, 2002 1:06 am

Here's the link to Arctic Silver's instruction page. It will show you the proper steps to removing thermal paste. What heatsink have you decided to get?
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby steelserotta » Sat May 18, 2002 2:56 am

I returned the Jet Cool to CompUsa and picked up their copper-finned "Gamer" heatsink. They dont sell Thermaltake. In fact, seems most of their stuff is labeled "Compusa" brand. :?

OK here are the results: CPU temp now running in low to mid 60s. Making progress, but still not satisfied. Maybe with my case deisgn, where the PS sits in front of the MoBo instead of above it, those temps are as good as I can expect (?), especially for an Athlon Thunderbird which, I'm told, tends to run hot. :?:
steelserotta
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Sat May 18, 2002 8:55 am

:arrow: :idea: :!: can you add some case fans for exhausting the built up heat in the case (rear of case?)? btw, what case are you using? the intake fans at front will show the motor mount bars, and the rear exhaust fans will only show the blades- just double check to make sure that the case fans are correctly orientated.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby steelserotta » Sat May 18, 2002 12:59 pm

It's an ABS computer, not sure what kind of case they use. Probably their own brand, I suppose. There is a fan in the lower front pulling air in. That's all that came with the computer originally (3 years ago).

I added a slot fan in the back, but it sits below my video card in the AGP port so I'm not sure how much good it's really doing the CPU. I also added a fan in front that sits in the top bay.

I'd like to add a fan in the upper rear on the same side as the Mobo, but there's no mount for it. I'd have to contruct my own. Im concerned that the airflow in my case may be a limiting factor - because the heatsink fan blows right into the side of the power supply (only about an inch clearance between the two). Has anyone else had good cooling success with an Athlon Thunderbird in this style case????
steelserotta
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 18, 2002 1:19 pm

What is the case style that you have? Is there any kind of model number to it?
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby steelserotta » Sat May 18, 2002 4:56 pm

Here's a view from the back. You can see that the power supply is across from, not above, the mobo.

This is a view from above, looking down into the case. Note how little space there is between the heatsink and the power supply. See those vent holes to the right of the heatsink (rear of the case)? I attached a couple small fans there today after the pic was taken. Temps now consistently around 60-62. Maybe thats the best I can hope for??
steelserotta
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby len444 » Sat May 18, 2002 7:23 pm

:arrow: :!: :idea: your best approach is to mod the case w/ a hole cut out in the top (towards rear) of the case, add fan and grill, same on the side (opposite mb towards bottom) as well. looks like it can be easily accomplished, as the cover completely seperates from the case frame (no vibration to components).
[one consideration though- check depth clearances at top of case, so that the added fan doesn't hit the psu- orientate for sufficient clearance, w/ further aft being better- could get a case w/ better cooling though and skip mod- looks like you have a slide out mb tray, which some people really like, so the mods would add to the case's appeal- another condiderance is the extra noise from the fans added, so some kind of quiet fan design would be a consideration as well-looks like you can add a case fan to the lower front of the case, provided the mounting is there for a fan]
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks