Q About Removing a HSF

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Q About Removing a HSF

Postby effika » Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:35 pm

Ok... my temps are a little high so I'm going to get rid of the thermal goop that came with my hsf and put on some AS3. I have a T.I.T.I Dr. Thermal TI-V77L. I'm not quite sure how to remove it from my cpu... I know to release the lever, but as to getting the clips off the socket lugs I'm lost. Could anyone please point me to some directions or kindly instruct me on this matter? Pictures are a very big plus. Also, what should I use to clean off things-- something soaked in rubbing alcohol, just wipe everything off with a paper towel, or some other method?
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:41 am

As far as removing your heatsink I don't know if there's any picture like guides out there, I'm sorry I don't have time to search for it right now. Damn work!

Anyway, as far as removing the thermal grease you just need to use something that doesn't carry an electric charge such as Kleenex. Don't use one with Aloe or any of that lotion crap, that can't be good for the CPU.

Remember with ASIII your not going to see the final results until the silver has connected together in the paste which usually takes about 72 hours. Good luck!
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Razorwindmo » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:04 am

DON'T use kleenex, as it leaves lint. You need to use a lint free cloth or anything similar. Arctic Silver says to use 99% pure alcohol to clean off previous thermal compund but all I could find was 91% pure. Worked just fine.
AMD Athalon XP 2500+
A7N8X Deluxe motherboard bios rev. 1008
Samsung 120gb sata
WD 120gb sata
2 x 256 PC3200 Samsung memory
Radeon 9700 Pro video card
500w PS

COFFEE, the world's eye opener!! 8O
Razorwindmo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:07 pm

Yes the biggest things to remmeber are:

1. Do not touch the DPU die with your hand.
2. Do not use anything that may leave lint behind

Either one fo these will cause even higher temps then you are seeing now. I usually use alchol with a lint free cloth, just getthe cloth damp (thats all that is needed).

As for getting the HSF off, it depends on the type of motherboard. For newer AMDs (the only ones I have experience with) look at the clip. It should clip onto the CPU on two sides. One side will be smooth the other will have a groove. You will need to insert a screwdriver intot he groove, press down and out to unclip that side. Once unclipped you can unclip the other side easy. Then pull up onthe unit. Its usually not too hard, but be careful if the screwdriver slips it may hit the board and do some damage..... For better info look at the HSF guide (or website) or your mobo manual (website).
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby kanton » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:02 pm

Let's make this real simple.

1. Read this -- Using Artic Silver 3

2. Do it.

3. Enjoy it :D
Last edited by kanton on Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1. If you don't know ask-
2. If you do know tell -
3. If you think you know refer to 1.
kanton
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby effika » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:12 pm

Thanks for the link, kanton, but I was needing help in getting the hsf off w/o damaging anything.

Ok, think I got it down... thanks everyone!
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Tolemac » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:38 pm

Just in case it's still giving you trouble, here's some pics and a how to:

The red circle shows the pressure bar that helps lock in the clip. You'll need a flat head screw driver to move this to the up position.
Once you've done that, take the same screw driver and use it to remove the clip from the studs on the socket.
Here's a good shot of what the lever looks like from the inside.

Just make sure that you are very careful as this will damage the board if it goes sideways on you while removing it.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby effika » Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:48 pm

Thanks Tolemac! Everyone's so helpful around here.
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:36 pm

Kleenex didn't leave any lint for me. Just use a can of air and your good to go. Lint free would probably be a little better though. :)
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks