CPU fan questions

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

CPU fan questions

Postby gaviota » Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:10 am

Hello everyone,

I just bought an Asus A7V333 motherboard with an Athlon XP2100+ with the stock AMD CPU fan. The CPU temperature is 63C - 72C on a cool day. I live in a very hot climate, so I guess in hotter days the temperature will surely rise. I'm also planning to do some mild overclocking, so I guess this should also cause the temperature to rise. The motherboard temperature is 35C.

My questions are:
1) Is my CPU running too hot?
2) Do I need a better fan, like the Volcano 7+?
3) I'm trusting that my CPU can't be damaged because the A7V333 will shut down if the CPU gets too hot. Is this true or am I mistaken?

Thanks for your help. :wink:
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby ChicoMarx » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:40 am

Holy Hotcakes, Batman! Wayyyyy tooooo hotttttt !!!!!

First, get rid of the stupid pad the HSF came with and get some Arctic Silver III on that puppy.

Next, case cooling. What case do you have? What's the temp inside? What fans do you have moving air into and out of the case? What cables are around the hsf that are preventing air movement? Where is the case? Inside a piece of furniture? Next to a window in the sun? Get the case cooled down and the hsf will work a lot better.

Your temps have got to come down into the 40-49C range, better at the low end; but you may not get down to the bottom of the range with the stock hsf. If you're done with the above and still want better cooling, get a V7+. But first, you should be able to get a lot cooler temps with the hsf you have plus case fans. Do this incrementally until you're happy.
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:46 am

Run, do not walk, to your nearest computer store and get any of the better Thermaltake heatsinks (especially the Volcano 7+) immediately!!! 8O

The stock heatsink that comes with the AMD is a Cooler Master hunk of junk that does not work very well at all and is also very hard to attach without a lot of force. Do like Chico said and get some Arctic Silver III as well. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gaviota » Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:52 pm

Thanks!!! I'm on my way!!!
gaviota
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks