The best HSF

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

The best HSF

Postby Razorwindmo » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:23 am

Seems funny to me that I posted this question and and cangrove is getting more replies than than me, the one that asked for opinions of HSF.
Not problems with HSF. Looks to me like the issue has turned to fixing. :x
Razorwindmo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:18 am

Sorry, didn't mean to take over your thread, that ends here. Back to your question, about the hsf. Just read your other post and you are getting some high temps. I do not think this is due tot he artic silver III you put on but rather the hsf is not powerful enoguh. Keep in mind AMD says anything under 70 C is OK, but to get peak performance under 50C is better. So although the hsf you got is within AMD specs you can do better. That said what about the two you mentione.

Tolemac is right the Volcano 7+ is pretty good (although make sure you get the 7+ and not the 7 which is a pretty blue but is a pretty wimpy thing as well). The big advantage the Volcano has is the variable speed fan, whcih although you could add to other fans yourself, this has it without modding it. As for the Dynatron it seems to be almost a replica of the volcano but uses aluminum instead of copper (copper is better normally) and has "Microfin technology" vs Thermaltake's "Thinfin technology" They must use the same marketting agency :lol:

So all said in done I think the Volcano 7+ with a little artic silver is your best bet. One of the posts in this site had a link to one for $39 which is a steal (I paid ~$50 for mine) Good luck on the new hsf, let us know how it turns out.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

The best HSF

Postby Razorwindmo » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:53 am

Thank you for getting back to the subject at hand. I have just one more question. Will the Volcano 7+ work on a socket A mobo, A7V133? All I have read about it being used for are the new P-IV's and AMD's which are about 1/2 the size of my AMD 1ghz Thunderbird.
Razorwindmo
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:57 pm

Yes the Volcano 7+ will work on damn near any Socket A board. It should fit just fine on the Asus board. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Razorwindmo » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:28 am

Ok, thank you all for your opinions. I have recieved enough info for this post.
Razorwindmo
Initiate
Initiate

Previous

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks