speeze hsf

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

speeze hsf

Postby ab_man » Wed Jun 26, 2002 6:56 am

I just bought a barebones system (unassembled) with an amd +1700. The problem is that the company sent me a hsf that was recommended only up to the +1600 proc. The hsf that I got is the speeze 5e32b3 (www.speeze.com). The case that I have seems to be well ventilated and I was planning on using an old fan to help cool the system. For now I'm not planning on overclocking the system so I'm wondering if I should risk this cpu/hsf combination?

Also, is it better to use thermal grease or a thermal pad for the interface between the proc and the hsf?
ab_man
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby cangove » Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:16 am

If not overclocking you may be ok. The reason its not rated for your 1700+ could possibly be they released the fan before the CPU was on the market and AMD has not done the extensive testing on it they usually do to stamp the AMD certified label on it.

The thing with hsf is that unless they are majorly under powered and you are not careful you could damage it. However, in your case if anything it is slightly underpowered. If you are careful and watch the CPU temps as you run the machine (check idle in while in the bios to start with) to confirm that your temps do not get too high. However, since hsf are not too expensive I would recommend doing a little research and getting a new one that is higher rated (first contact the people you bought your system from and complain).

Finally thermal grease (Artic Silver 3) is generally better, but as long as your hsf is highly rated, and you won't be overtaxing your system (ie overclocking) then the thermal pad should be enough.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:00 pm

First I want to talk about the thermal pad vs. thermal paste issue. The thermal pad is good if you have a Socket 7 CPU. Any of the newer CPU's from the first Socket A onwards, need the thermal paste as it provides much better heat transference than the pad. As cangrove said, the Arctic Silver III is the stuff to get as it is the best on the market.

The Speeze heatsink is real bottom of the barrel. Not that great at cooling. Even though you are not going to be overclocking now, you may want to in the future so why buy two heatsinks when you can get one mow that will do the job and then be there for you when you decide (if ever) to overclock. I use and highly recommend the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ for it's easy of use, variable speed fan and all copper body. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks