Way To Hot

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:15 pm

Wow, that is super high temps. 1 of 2 things. Either you've applied too much thermal paste or the sensors are kinda screwed up. The computer should have shut down by now using that CPU and would have locked up.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby rguilmette » Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:59 am

System Is

Asus P4B
Intel1.6@ Northwood
256 meg Sdram
Nvidia mx400 W/64 meg
SB 512pci sound
HP 9500 CDRW
Generic DVD
System runs great it scored a 1103 at pcpitstop.com

I removed the old hsf assm. Placed assm on anti static mat. Cleaned the cpu with isopropyl (97%) and scraped off the remains of the old thermal pad. Wiped down the cpu with isopropyl again and blow dried the cpu with compressed air, installed it in the socket. Applied a dab of arctic silver 3 and smoothed it over the cpu with razor blade. Installed the additional hardware for the S478 on the V7+. Placed the assm into the retainer frame and locked all four corners down firmly. I bypassed the 3 position switch, I want the fan on full speed all the time, then I removed the yellow wire from the 3 pin header it was connected to and added it to the 3 pin header with the power connections on it. This I connected to the cpu fan pinout on the mobo. Installed a rear fan (exhaust) and connected it to the case fan pinout on the mobo. System is stable, running 24 hours a day for 4 days now. System is used as an ftp server while I am at work and used normally when I am home. IE... games, music, surfing.
System was o/c'd to 2271 until I noticed temps were high. Brought the system back to 1.6 to verify temps. ((And Here We Are))
Both fans are visibly and audibly spinning.

Do I:
A. Ignore the temps
B. Swap out the hsf assm. (Again)
C. Clean and reapply AS3 to the V7+
D. Move the thermal pin to a different header
E. Sell it off and build another one

Sorry about the long post.
Faster, Faster, FASTER
Hey, Do you smell smoke?
rguilmette
Initiate
Initiate