Thermal paste/grease

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Thermal paste/grease

Postby bonz_dragon » Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:37 am

:?: I was just out visiting one of my local shops and asked about Artic Silver paste and they told me that neither they or the other 2 stores in the area carry it and that it is not needed with the new heat sinks. That the new heat sinks have a pad on the bottom. Is this true or false?
Kevin
bonz_dragon
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby effika » Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:55 pm

Some heatsinks come with thermal pads on the bottom. Just make sure it has such if you buy that kind. They work alright, but thermal compounds such as Artic Silver are usually better. And it is possible to take the thermal pad off the bottom of the heatsink if you'd rather use a thermal compound. You can find thermal compounds from places online such as Newegg. They're not very expensive.
effika
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby fishtank1 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:32 am

AC3 and the others are much better than the pads....This comes from a person who uses this stuff on a much larger scale... I'm an electrician and we use this thermal paste between bus bars when running them in parallel or just making a splice... the job of the goop is to take up space it filles in any imperfectons in the two serfices being joind together...thus alowing for more themal energy to pass ...In a sence by using a sink with theral paste you make it PART OF THE CPU DIE and increase the surfice area....when we are done with the jobs at my work we use thermo-imaging devices to see heat, we look for hot spots if you forget to put the goop on you should see the diffrance its like night and day...

SHOCKING ISNT IT!!! 8)
fishtank1
Initiate
Initiate

Postby riley0853 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:18 pm

prolly just making excuses for selling hsfs with thermal pads and not selling thermal paste. there are tons of places on line to buy arctic silver :wink:
Help humanity! Join the
Motherboards.org
folding team! 33258
riley0853
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:13 pm

I cannot reccomend enough getting ASIII. Brought down my CPU temps after 72 hours by 6 degrees C.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby kanton » Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:45 pm

I found it for 11.00 bucks with free shipping for 7 grams at case-mod.com
kanton
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks