Trick or Treating with a PSU

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Trick or Treating with a PSU

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:44 pm

I upgraded my Antec True330 to True480. I installed the True330 on my kid's pc. WOW it is quiet....why? because the psu is regulating the fan speed at below 1700rpm. I tried to shutdown and cool off the pc and turned it on with the side panel out...fan at 1600rpm (not bad) then I put back the panel and closed it. Mobo/cpu temp read-outs started to climb (32/42) and most likely the case temp. I used Hmonitor, chassis monitoring not reading but I can feel the air coming out .getting warmer. PC running for a good 30 or so mins. Fan speed is still stuck below 1700rpm. Should I be concerned? Is there some way I can trick-out the PSU or overide the "fan only" temp monitor to keep fans running at max speeds? :roll: :?:
Last edited by ThEvil0nE on Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby cangove » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:50 pm

What are the temps the monitor is giving you? Keep in mind the power supply air will be quite a bit warmer then the case temp whcih is what really matters. This is because 1. its an exhaust so it sucks the hot case air out and 2. The power supply is a major source of heat. So I would rely on the temps inside. If you see those climbing you can mdofiy the fan to be always on, by finding the sensorm cut off the rubber casing of itand soldeing the ends togather (I thin kthere is a psot somehwere about this, definitly read more before doing it).
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ThEvil0nE » Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:14 pm

One exhaust fan not counting the psu exhaust and one intake at the front. 5yr old daughter's pc runs on Duron 1.2 with Tt dragon orb 1

....but anyway, my concern is how to just keep my fans running at their rated rpms.

TY
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks