heat sinks

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

heat sinks

Postby ab_man » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:39 am

I'm thinking about building my first system and am curious about cpu cooling systems. Is it standard now to just use a cpu fan to cool or a cpu fan and heatsink combo?
ab_man
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Porphyria » Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:54 am

You'll want a fan/heatsink(hsf) combo. A good hsf is Thermaltake's Volcano 7+ for AMD. If your using Intel, just buy the retail box with the fan. The fan that comes with the p4 is good enough for that processor.
Kids in a fast lane living for today
No rules to abide by and no one to obey
ID This Quote
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cangove » Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:45 pm

Or, if you are really into cooling and have the money try for a water cooled system..... much quieter. Also the Volcano 7+ is good for high end systems but may be overkill for some CPUs. What CPU you looking at?
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ChicoMarx » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:50 pm

Lots of good mid-range coolers, especially Thermaltakes and the Alphas. I like the TT Volcano 6Cu+ on the Duron but the TT V7+ is the only one to get on a high-end XP chip. If you buy the cpu itself, get the RETAIL version (3 year warranty) vs the OEM version (7 day warranty). The retail is more $ and comes with an AMD-approved hsf. It will work fine if you have other case cooling fans and you're building a pretty stock system. If you're going high performance, ditch the retail fan and get a V7+. Check it out at www.thermaltake.com. PS: Gotta use Arctic Silver 3 grease. If you buy a mobo/cpu/fan combo, remove the cpu and do the grease right. I heard a lot of complaints about mwave and the crappy pads they stick on the hsf. Be careful.
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ThEvil0nE » Sun Jun 23, 2002 11:01 am

There is also the ThermalRight SLK800 http://www.thermalright.com/ that ate up the competition. Only drawback $10.00 higher than the Tt V+ and no fan. There is also the SLK600 for $35.00

Here's a review of the SLK-800 and some detailed pictures and install http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzE3LDM=
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks