Volcano 7+ Help

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Volcano 7+ Help

Postby cangove » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:37 am

Just got my Thermaltake Volcano 7+ from newegg.com and noticed that all of the copper fins are curved torwards the screwdriver clip end. Also noticed that the AMD bracket that is supposed to be standard needed to be installed and that there are sme scrathces on the side where the P4 rails would go.... Think I paid for a new one and got a returned one? Anyone with one of these have curved fins?
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Tolemac » Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:20 am

I've bought two of them so far, and there is a slight curvature to the fins as they are shaved up from a single block of copper. If it came in the Thermaltake packaging, then it's new. They probably checked to make sure the screws fit and that's where the scratches came from.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby JDWalley » Mon Jun 17, 2002 12:01 am

O.K. Another question: the unit I got had some instructions for putting the unit together and physically installing it on the M/B. However, I see no instructions on how to hook it up electrically.

The 7+ seems to come with several connectors, either of the small or large types. Plugging either of the small connectors onto the M/B's fan connector had no effect; the fan stayed off, and I had to quickly shut the power down. Hooking up the large connector to one of the similar cables from the P/S worked fine, but I can no longer read the fan speed using the monitor-type program that came with the M/B.

No great loss, certainly, but I'd like that information. Are you supposed to hook one of the small connectors up to the M/B's "CPU fan" power connection anyway? Or should I just ignore them?

:?:
JDWalley
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby cangove » Mon Jun 17, 2002 6:45 am

Yeah, the connections confused me. It seems Thermaltake can design a great heatsink but can't figure out what to do with the wiring. Here are the wires on mine:

From Fan:
1. two wire (red/black) into 3-pin connector: Power but mobo can't handle the power requirements so make sure to use the attachment (see below)
2. a single yellow wire into a 3-pin connector. This is the Fan monitor, use this to vconnec to the fan conneciton on the mobo, the yellow wire should match up with the Fan detect pin.

Attachment:
1. Power attachment: Connect directly to power supply connection
2. Yellow wire: ???? What this is for is beyond me.

Funny I had a Volcano 7 and it cam with 2 3-pin connectors. One for power, one for fan detect. However, there is only one 3-pin connector on my board and not attachments given, so I had to modify it to use 1 conenctor.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Wiring on the Thermal take HSF

Postby matt451 » Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:25 am

I've had the same issue before. Most mobos are set up to use the three pin connectors..notice I said most. I am sure there are exceptions. You need to remove the yellow wire from the two pin connector with the pin intact and insert it into the correct opening in the three pin connector. Be sure to check the wiring schematics that came with your mobo, it may very well just be the empty opening you need to insert the yellow wire. If the fan did not turn on when connecting it to your mobo than that is not the case. Your manual should tell you which is +, - and thermal. Be careful when removing and inserting the pins into the connectors, a really small screw driver or an exacto knife work well if you don't have a removal and insertion tool. Hope that helps.
matt451
Initiate
Initiate

Postby BooBoo And Mace » Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:47 am

For all the help you will need with this fan visit the Thermaltake web site.
Lots of pictures and links.
http://www.thermaltake.com
BooBoo And Mace
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ChicoMarx » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:54 pm

Yeah, the red/back connector goes to power and the single yellow wire one goes to the fan speed sensor on the mobo. Got mine on an XP2100+ and Soltek SL-75DRV5 mobo which uses very specific fan headers to measure the speed in the BIOS and on the desktop. Had a hell of a time figuring out how to hook it through a TT HardCano 3 unit in a front bay that I use for the fan speed switch. The TT guys gave me the correct wiring and it works just fine.
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks