Round Cables?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Round Cables?

Postby spraks » Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:59 pm

hrmm i was looking around the internet and they said round cables are good to lower the temperature down.... well they showed me how to make ghetto cables from cutting up the original one and taping them together. they say that its better to have round cables then the regular square ones because it increases air flow. should i cut up the square ones and tape them together to make them round to reduce the temp?
"Don't Drink And Drive At The Same Time, U Might Spill"
spraks
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:24 pm

You can but don't count on much more than a decree of difference. You might also break a connection in one of the IDE cable wires too, or it could cause a short if you go through the insulation. I would separate the different wires that run in the cord by pulling each insulator wrapping off the rest of the bundle.

But in the end, it's probably better to just route the cables in such a way that they are not obtrusive to any case fans or right on top of any RAM or other major heat source. I use some plastic tie wraps to secure all my cords out of the way.
Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ChicoMarx » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:59 am

Gotta go round if you're serious about case cooling, oc or putting a window in. Go to www.nexfan.com. Pretty cheap and ata100 capable.
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby nailer » Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:17 pm

besides...it is something else to brag about :)
In a troop of chimpanzees I was a monkey----Beck
nailer
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:32 pm

When buying round cables, for less clutter, you should definitely make sure not to go overkill on the size. I got the biggest ones they had, because heck I thought bigger is better, but now they clutter up my case and it's hard to remove RAM and CPU without unplugging my hard drives. Just my experiences at least. And try getting thinner ones that can bend a bit, I got these crappy bulky ones with plastic lining around it, but the look wasn't worth the pain in the ass they are.
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby andrey » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:50 pm

also, remember, IDE specifications call for a maximum size of 18 inches. now a 24 inch won't be much of a problem if you are linking a CD-ROM, but if your linking Hd's, you might get some data loss.
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks