XP2100+ running too hot?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Smpsn » Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:58 pm

I run the same system as JDWalley and my temps are very close to his.
57c idle and 60-61c under load using a volcano6cu.System temps are 40c.Mine runs very stable though,not a single lock up.But the temps concern me though,if they are acurate,reported by the bios.I was thinking of a volcano7+ also.
Smpsn
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby cangove » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:02 pm

I have an XP 2000+ and have tried three heatsinks (All with Artic Silver 3).

CPU:
Speeze SuperRock: Idle: 52 Load: 55
Volcano 7: Idle: 49 Load: 52
Volcano 7+ (Low): Idle: 49 Load: 52
Volcano 7+ (Med): Idle: 47 Load: 50
Volcano 7+ (High): Idle: 45 Load: 49

Based on this I would go with the Volcano 7+ as it is flexible. The Volcano 7 is pretty load as it seems to always run full blast on my system. The volcano 7+ on high has about the same sound but ~4 c better temps, I myself run in med which gives a good balance.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby JDWalley » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm

Well, I finally screwed up my courage and removed the heatsink (no sign of anything breaking, fortunately). Sure enough, the Volcano had been attached with a very thin thermal pad that had managed to spread a great deal of thermal-grease-like substance on the green part of the chip just to the left of the core. Looking at the copper pad on the bottom of the Volcano, it looked like that substance came from the portion that should have been covering the core, with the end result that about 20-30% of the core seems to have not been contacting anything. Time to go looking for some AS3...and possibly a Volcano 7+. So much for the "benefits" of paying mWave to stick the heatsink on for you!
JDWalley
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Previous

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks