XP2100+ running too hot?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

XP2100+ running too hot?

Postby JDWalley » Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:31 am

I just got a Gigabyte GA7VRXP/Athlon XP2100+ combo from mwave.com. Per my request, they upgraded the stock (non-certified) fan/heatsink combo to a Thermalake Volcano 6Cu, which is on Athlon's approved list for that CPU. I installed it in a higher-end CoolerMaster case (can't remember the number, but it's the one with the swinging green plexiglass door on the front), with two fans on the back, one on the top, and a bottom front air intake, plus an AMD-certified PS. I'm running it with a Pioneer A04 DVD-RW drive, a GeForce 4 Ti4600, and a SoundBlaster Audigy. I'm running Win98 for the moment.

I am finding, in my first couple of hours of use, that this system will self-reset on a number of occasions, particularly during graphics-intensive applications (PowerDVD, various 3-D games). On occasion, it will come back with the video set to minimal VGA mode.

I checked the motherboard utility provided by GigaByte, and found that the CPU's temperature was running between 52 and 57 degrees Celsius. That seems high to me, from what I've read on this board.

1) Is this 52-57 degree range indeed too high for the 2100+?

2) If so, would this be a likely cause of the problems I've been having?

3) With temperatures reading in that range with an AMD-certified cooling solution and a case that appears to provide good ventilation, is it possible/likely that the tech person putting this combo together for me didn't properly apply thermal compound? Or would that flaw have caused far worse overheating problems than I'm experiencing?

4) If this doesn't sound like an overheating problem, are there any other "usual suspects" I should look at first?

Thanks in advance.
JDWalley
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Scotty23 » Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:07 am

Did you do a complete reinstall of Windows before upgrading your motherboard? I.e. backup all progs and data files and format your Windows partition?

You could try disabling startup items to see if that will help the situation but it is possible heat could be causing the problem.

Most XP's need to stay under 55C. Anything above that you start to risk lockups etc...

I would ditch the Volcano6cu. Grab a Volcano 7+ from any online retailer and also get Arctic Silver III thermal paste. That's a total of about 30 bucks or less and you will have a lot lower temperatures.

Also make sure that the CFm that is entering your system (intake fans) is equalling your exhaust CFm (exhaust fans). You would be better off having a wind tunnel effect with less CFm than a high CFm turbulant system.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby JDWalley » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:48 am

About re-installing Windows: since I was building an entirely new computer, I didn't have to worry about any prior OS on the hard drive.

About the Volcano 6: I chose this one because it is on AMD's certified list for the 2100+ (while the 7+ was not). I had it installed by mWave because, although I've built several computers before, I've never done one with an Athlon, and I understand it's very easy to break the chip while installing the heatsink. I really don't want to have to shell out another $220 or so to replace the CPU (and then risk breaking that one, too, etc.) if I can help it.

I ran the system all night, and it was stable while idling at 52 C. I then tried Star Wars: Starfighter. Just before the game went to full-screen, the motherboard monitor indicated that the temperature had jumped to 54 C. A minute or so after that, while still in the game's menus, the computer froze. Oh, well...
JDWalley
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby andrey » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:15 am

well, I can tell you that something is wrong, and that yes, the crashes you are experiencing are most likely heat related.

My suggestion would be to get some AS3, and reinstall the Heatsink, just in case mwave screwed it up, I understand though if you are cautious to do so.

what are you ambient temps as well? living in Arizona will produce high CPU temps, while living on Alaska will obviously chill your computer.
________
Oxygen Vaporizer
Last edited by andrey on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JDWalley » Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:46 am

Well, I just spoke with the Tech Support lifeform at mWave, and he says that temperatures of 52-57C are "perfectly normal" for the 2100+. He claims it must be a driver issue...

:x
JDWalley
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Scotty23 » Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:15 pm

JD,

You just got the technical support run-around.

Buy some Arctic Silver III for the chipset and that alone after 72hrs (time it takes for it to fill the gaps in the chip) and your system will probably be running about 4 degrees cooler if you don't want to go out and buy another Heatsink/fan.

Tons of people use the Volcano 7+ and it consistently gives the best ratings as far as temperatures go. We obviously can't make you go out and buy it, but if your getitng temps that high and your worried about it, and your system is crashing, I can't reccomend that combination enough. (ASIII & Vol 7+)
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:21 pm

Having the exact same problem on my VRXP mobo with an AMD 2000+ from Mwave. I used the factory installed heatsink (Speeze SuperRock) and had ~57 c under load, adding artic silver 3 pulled this down to 55. Tried a volcano 7 (not the plus) and got twice the sound for ~1 c decrease in temp. I've heard better things about the Volcano 7+ though. Also no lockups with me but Morrowind seems to die on me (but who knows this may be the game not the system), but this temp is too high.

Let us know if the volcano 7+ (or other solution) fixes the problem.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby andrey » Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:04 pm

for 200 bucks, you can get water cooling :)
________
Television Show Forum
Last edited by andrey on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ChicoMarx » Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:57 am

Did Mwave install a crappy "thermal pad" under the cpu instead of using the grease?

I have a 2100 with the V7+ and AS III. Temps are: 37C idle, 43C load, 26C case. The 7+ is just an awesome hsf but you need a forklift to get it in! I originally had a lateral exhaust fan over the 7+ and had temps in the high 40's. Seems that this fan and the hsf were in a push-pull conflict. Removed the lateral and temps went down. Had to redo the AS III a few times to get it "just right". The 7+ comes with a 3-speed manual switch. I tossed it out and use the 3-speed switch on a Thermaltake HardCano 3 to control the fan. Never have to go above medium except for an 18-hour lan party.

Beware of the earlier V7 (with the sensor-driven fan) and a lot of case cooling. Read a review that with a very cold case, the sensor on the hsf never kicked the fan to high resulting in higher cpu temps. Just a thought.

Mwave's full of crap. High 30's to low 40's is what to shoot for. Even high 40's are ok. But 50's? No way!

If you're careful with the screwdriver to get the clip on and off, you won't damage a thing. The Arctic Silver website has complete instructions on how to do the grease. Pretty idiot-proof and takes only a few minutes. Just remember the 72-hour burn in before you evaluate the new temps.
ChicoMarx
Initiate
Initiate

Postby bennettsweb » Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:31 pm

I love my Swiftech block-o-copper and rods. I upgraded from the tock mwave one, whatever that was, and get about 7C cooler.

--Bennett
bennettsweb
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks