xp 1600 is it running too hot

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

xp 1600 is it running too hot

Postby tryingtolearn5 » Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:33 pm

I built this pc with a biostar m7vkq m/board,the cpu came with a fan,it had the pad on the heatsink,I pulled the tape off per instrutions. It is running at 131 f i,m not good with C, the hardware moniter says 140 is the overheat temp, I tried putting some AK100 silicone on it still runs at 131. the fan amd aproved, on the pc i,m on now i have a 1.4 athlon it has a volcano 5 fan and heatsink and it runs at 84 f on the net, would a v5 help or does the xp just run hotter thank you Bert
tryingtolearn5
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:38 pm

Sounds a little high, but I would not clasify it as dangerous. An easy F -> C converter can be found at:

http://www.soc.duke.edu/~garyt/temp.html

But for you r 1.4 this would be ~29 C which is very low. The 131 F = 55C which is what I get on my Athlon XP 2000+ under load. What is your case temp? Also you may need to and a bigger heatsink, the AMD provided ones usually are minimum specs.... that is they work but not well. If you don't mind the sound a Thermaltake 7+ works well but is loud, I'm using a Speeze SuperRock which is AMD approved up to 2000+.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks