Air Conditioning Traps?

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Air Conditioning Traps?

Postby Scotty23 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:32 am

Does anyone know of anything that you can tap onto your Air Conditioning vent and then run a tube into your computer so direct cold air is blowing around inside your case?

My friend said he has seen something like this in the past and I didn't know where they are sold. I have looked around some sites but never seen any product remotly like that.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice or pointers.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Too much!!!

Postby elpcmaster » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:35 pm

That would be a little over doing it. Taking your computer to air conditioner cooling levels could damage your system. You want to keep it at room temperature.
elpcmaster
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:47 pm

I say: the cooler, the better! I just wouldn't want any particles or anything from a vent like that to get in the computer, or any moisture! I've never seen one of those for sale, but you could always make one yourself!
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby elpcmaster » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:04 pm

That is why it is better to stay away from an air conditioned cooled system, because of the moisture.
elpcmaster
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Wyrm73 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:02 pm

Actually, the air conditioning condenser removes moisture from the air. Look under your car after you run the air conditioner. You will find a puddle of water where you were parked. If you are still worried about moisture, you can always add a dehumidifier.
Wyrm73
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:28 am

Moisture cannot get into the computer because of a condensor which is on the air conditioning unit itself. I'm not worried about moisture itself, I'm just looking for a good way to get more cold air into my system.

I am definitely not a creative person and wouldn't have the foggiest idea on how to go about making one of these, too bad someone doesn't make them, but my friend swears he saw one somewhere. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

But do you guys have any suggestions on how I could go about making one of these? With my case open and it sitting next to the air conditioning vent I get insane temperatures. (Athlon XP 1900+ under 3dmark2001 car chase = 29 degrees celsius)

So I could really overclock my system but I really would like to close my case up and have it sitting on my desk. :)
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:20 am

The moisture you need to worry about is not carried in by the air (it is very very dry air as mentioned before) but condensation due to overcooling. If the metal in the computer cools too much you will get condensation (exactly the same process that causes dew on cool mornings). So you have to be careful not to cool too much.... That being said you should be able to get a flexible exhaust hose used for dryer exhaust at your local hardware store. The computer side would be easy just put the end of the tube near the intake fan, or cut a hole in the case and put directly in. The connection to the air cond it self may be tricky, as it depends on the air conditiong type. If central air you will have a vent that is retangular on the side showing and has an circular opening on the back for the ac tubes. Your exhaust tube may be able to be attached directly to the ac by removing the fan and attaching both tubes, if not get another ven and attach it upside down to the existing fan so that the circular opening is facing out towards you. Now attach your hose to that openiong.

Haven't tried these myself but took some quick meaurements and it should work. Also one thing to look into is what happens when the air shuts off, will your case still be able to cool enough? Don't eant to come home to a smoking heap that used to be your machine.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Scotty23 » Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:19 pm

cangrove,

darn good idea man. And no it doesn't cool the computer down enough to where condensation occurs on the metal.

I might head down to Home Depot and try to find some materials to rig this thing together. I'll probably do it this weekend and I'll take some pictures and post 'em here.
--Scotty
Scotty23
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Porphyria » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:38 pm

Super low temps will NOT hurt your computer. Just look at this case.

It runs the CPU at subzero temps. It is only damaged from being too hot.
Kids in a fast lane living for today
No rules to abide by and no one to obey
ID This Quote
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:51 pm

LOL... this reminds me of the topic posted by andrey:

Posted: 16 May 2002 10:35 Post subject: Best overall cooling system?

andrey wrote:just wondering, what would you guys consider the best overall system for cooling down the computer? an air cooling brand? water cooling? liquid nitro? bottles of vodka? specific brands if possible :)

ThEvil0nE wrote:How about an air duct from you home airconditioner thru a blow hole on the PC case? That would easily be the best cooling technique right? :roll:

Diagram:

HOME AC======AIR DUCT======CASE

OK...maybe I just went over my head there. It's just some crazy thought anyway. :wink:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks