Good Vibrations? I want a limpet HSF I think

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Good Vibrations? I want a limpet HSF I think

Postby Cas141 » Sat May 11, 2002 8:37 am

Hello all. I am about to change my MSI motherboard for a Gigabyte 7DXR+. I think i will get a AMD 1800 XP for it. ( Present cpu is AMD T'Bird 1000) It will all be put in my Coolermaster ali case. So why am i a bit worried?For some months I have had many lock ups and shut downs. The computer would not always re boot and all obvious remedies have been tried . The first was an Enermax 350PSU. The remedies involved, inter alia, quite a number of times re-locating of CPU and hence moving of HSF ( replacements, even) It seemed to be overheating so i got the Coolermaster and for 2 months all was OK until a couple of days ago. Now it closes down after an hour or so of running. and then won't re boot. Tried everything and now twice I got it back by a very unusual ploy which seems to "unlock" the computer. It involves taking off the HSF and then taking out the processor.Then (listen to this!) leaving the processor OUT of the mobo I then switch on for about 10-15 secs and then switch off. Replace the processor and relocate the HSF with fresh paste and it boots. !!! Runs exactly as always - no degradation of performance and then after an hour or so it suddenly closes down!! Doesn't hang but closes down. Can't re boot until above procedure is implemented.This has just started after 2 months of no problems since i changed my case for a Coolermaster. as I say.The present thinking is this. I have noticed that in taking the HSF on and off, that it has got easier to put back on ( As you know, it can be necessary to use a lot of pressure on the screwdriver to engage the clip, but this has been easier lately)When the computer tower is upright, the mobo is on its side and therfore the HSF is hanging. I'm wondering if gravity and/or vibration from nearby By Pass traffic is causing the HSF to shift slightly, losing the tight contact and so the mobo senses loss of cooling and shuts down???I know this sounds like I'm clutching at straws but there could be something in it do you think??If there is, it is important to me to get a good HSF cooler for the new system, and one which can be really well secured. May I have your comments and suggestions please?
Cas141
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Tolemac » Sat May 11, 2002 10:19 am

There are numerous heatsinks on the market that take advantage of the four holes around the CPU socket and bolt straight through thereby making it solid with the board and it will not come off until you remove it. The best one of these is the Swiftech MCX462. The number one heatsink on the market!
http://www.swiftnets.com/ Check it out! 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Cas141 » Sun May 12, 2002 10:35 am

Is anyone very familiar with the Gigabyte 7DXR+ and can tell me this, please.
1. Are there the necessary holes which the swift HSF needs?
2. Will this board be big enough to take the Thermalright AX -7 which has a base of 77 x 77 mms (height 42 ).
Both these HSF are brilliant at what they do, but they are no good if they cannot be fitted to the motherboard. Unfortunately Gigabute do not have a website at which they can be sked for clarifiction on these things!
(What happened to the simple e mail).
Maybe those who review many boards know these answers?
TIA
Cas141
Initiate
Initiate

Postby windman » Sun May 12, 2002 11:00 am

if you look at the mobo theres 4 holes around the cpu socket

and the mounting screws go though these and are connected to the mobo rather than the latches on the socket

the only prob with this set up is that if you need to remove the hs/fan from the mobo you need to take the whole mobo out of the case unless you mod the case to allow access to the back of the mobo at the cpu socket
The whole world is a game and we are but players within it

but what a game :D
windman
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tolemac » Sun May 12, 2002 7:13 pm

Here's a pic of your board. Yes, it has the necessary holes...

I am not certain if the Thermalright will fit, as there are two capacitors very close to the tabs on the socket, and the AX-7 is quite large. The MCX462 is large as well, but they've anticipated the capacitors and have removed the corners from the heatsink. It is 76.2MM and that may be enough room. Swiftech's site is down at the moment otherwise I'd be able to tell you for sure as they have a mobo compatibility chart telling which boards will take it and which won't.
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Here

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun May 12, 2002 7:44 pm

Here Tolemac.

http://web.archive.org/web/200201242243 ... mcx462.htm

It says its fully compatible with all of them. And I shrunk the image of "the zone" and placed it over the image you provided of the board. It looks like it will work fine.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Mon May 13, 2002 9:34 am

:arrow: :idea: how much mb deformation do the through the mb mounting hsf's impart? do they come w/ a nonconductive spacer that goes behind mb under cpu (pull off paper w/ self stick adhesive, and press in place- corrugated plastic?)? :?:
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tolemac » Wed May 15, 2002 12:56 am

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again :?:

If I'm reading you right, there is no mobo problems with using the through holes for a hetsink. Yes, they are completely seperate from any traces on the board. No, there are no spacers that come with the board for those holes, but some of them are grounded. Swiftech has thought of all of this and they provide an assortment of spacers to work with whatever board you have. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Cas141 » Wed May 15, 2002 1:48 pm

Thank you Tolemac and others for your replies- You've gone to a lot of trouble for me and i appreciate it.
Cheers
Cas141
Initiate
Initiate

Postby len444 » Fri May 17, 2002 5:19 pm

:arrow: :?:
how much mb deformation do the through the mb mounting hsf's impart?
(from previous post)

anyone care to elaborate, or clarify, as i've assumed that the through the mb bolts mount into the pc case, or is there a plastic backer on the mb itself- anyone?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Next

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks