peltier and stuff

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

peltier and stuff

Postby Half-Saint » Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:05 pm

I noticed some articles about Peltier cooling and they all talk about extremely low temperatures. Can someone tell me how hard it is to install? How good is it REALLY? I was thinking about replacing my Volcano7 with a peltier... dunno yet. I hate the noise.

-saint
Half-Saint
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby jeffa469 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:27 pm

The Peltier must still trasfer the heat somewhere, so you still have Fan noise. Combining a Peltier cooler with a water cooling system would be fun to check out, but I know of no one making it yet. This may call for modifying a watercooling case, by adding the Peltier to the CPU cooling hose.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cangove » Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:21 pm

Since the peltier is two sided, one hot and one cold what would ahppen if you installed some on the wall of your case? Just put the hot side on the iside of the cane and the cold on the out and your case becomes the heat transfer piece. If you use one as a heatsink with a small fan to move the air around you should be all set..... Interesting idea at least.
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jeffa469 » Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:55 pm

Ahh yes, turn the PC case into a refridgerator, just make sure it's Frost Free as condensation could cause trouble. As long as you don't get water dripping on the electronic goodies, Cooler is better. I've often thought of converting one of those Dorm Fridges into a PC case.
jeffa469
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby cangove » Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:57 pm

See the key is to make it so cold, no condensation can form, as any water would turn to ice, just like a freezer :D
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: peltier and stuff

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:42 am

Half-Saint wrote:Can someone tell me how hard it is to install? How good is it REALLY? I was thinking about replacing my Volcano7 with a peltier... dunno yet. I hate the noise.

-saint

Maybe this would help http://www.peltier-info.com/info.html
It has all the infos you're looking for and touches a bit on thermal compound subjects.

GoodLuck
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Juker008 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:05 am

jeffa469 wrote:The Peltier must still trasfer the heat somewhere, so you still have Fan noise. Combining a Peltier cooler with a water cooling system would be fun to check out, but I know of no one making it yet. This may call for modifying a watercooling case, by adding the Peltier to the CPU cooling hose.

uhhhhh here: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw462.asp

And uhhhhh here: http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 178_1.html

Just some reference. Hope it give u a raise, it sure did for me :Homer Simpson Drooling: :p

Juker008
Juker008
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Juker008 » Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:12 am

cangove wrote:See the key is to make it so cold, no condensation can form, as any water would turn to ice, just like a freezer :D

The "Key" is to make it as cold as possible without letting any "ambiant air" into the Peltier area. The way to do it is to seal off the Peltier cooling area from allowing air to circulate. And if the area is filled in with AS3 the there would be no ambiant air to possibly condensate.

But if u are worried about condensation even the slightest as I am u can seal the mobo. I haven't found a bullet-proof method/media to do so. But I have an idea of using top-coat clear nail-polish. But I have yet to use it and I'm still looking for something better . As for the nail-polish method I feel that it would be a decent insulator. But if anyone has got a better media that I could use plz post so, any idea would help.

Juker008
Juker008
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks