A question regarding fans

CPU Cooling tricks and techniques.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

A question regarding fans

Postby Half-Saint » Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:51 pm

Call me stupid but I had to ask. Let's look at an example. If I take a desktop 30 cm fan and turn it on. Is the air temperature around the fan any lower? I mean do the fans actually lower the temperature or do they just circulate the air? I'm asking this because my case is pretty hot (29 C) and I was thinking about adding more fans. First of all two 60x60 fans (blowing outwards) on top of the case since all the hot air tends to accumulate there (between the PSU and the DVD & CD-RW units. Next step would be adding a fan on the side of the case. How does that sound?

Thanks in advance!
-saint
Half-Saint
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby mik8531 » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:41 pm

A fan would not directly cause a temperature drop since there is no cooling mechanism within the fan. However, they do serve as a cooling method by circulating air that can absorb energy - lowering ambient temperature. This is why having hot air blown around does nothing for cooling.
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.
mik8531
Initiate
Initiate

Postby cangove » Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:08 am

mik8531 is exactly right. The power of the fans is throguh circulation not cooling the air. Wind has a cooling effect on people because of the water in our skin, so thats why a fan feels cool to us.... hopefully your case doesn't have water in it (unless you are fortunate to have a water cooled system). So the cooling factor here is moving the heated air (concetrated around the CPU and PSU) out and fresh air in (So the temp casse should never be below the outside temp) This is why a low-powered wind-tunnel would be more effective then a high powered turbulent system. Also you usually want a low-pressure situation in the case... that is more air blowing out then in, this helps the flow of air.

I knew that physics class in high school would pay off :D
cangove
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby andrey » Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:40 pm

on the downside, having low pressure inside the system also seems to attract large quantities of dust as well :)
________
Eagle Optima
Last edited by andrey on Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby mik8531 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:19 pm

though, large amounts of dust can be remedied with a can or two of that air duster stuff. just open it up and check the various cables/fans/whatever and blow it out every few months. you might try a filter also but that may detract from the airflow cause by the fans.
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.
mik8531
Initiate
Initiate

Postby ThEvil0nE » Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:23 pm

As I call it...Let your case breathe, don't suffocate...inhale(fan intake for cool air)...exhale(fan exhaust for that nasty hot air).

Goodluck!!! :wink:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Cooling Tips and Tricks